Mahjong fightclub PSP, AI cheat or I'm bad at getting ron'd?

http://www.konami.jp/mfc/

Moderator: Shirluban

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Mahjong fightclub PSP, AI cheat or I'm bad at getting ron'd?

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 am

In the game I just got through playing I got ron'd 100% of the time, two of which were one shot rons. For some reason I'm getting ron'd more and more by them so that I end up with negative points at the end of quite a few of my games now. Is it possible that I'm that horrible at putting out bad tiles or do you think the AI is cheating? If so is there any strategies to avoid this? I would think putting out random tiles wouldn't get me ron'd this much, so I'm wondering what to do. I know safe tiles are ones in their discards, but any other tips?

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Mahjong fightclub PSP, AI cheat or I'm bad at getting ro

Post by xKime » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:05 am

You are just an expert at getting ron'd.

I can assure you that not only the PSP Fight Club's AI doesn't cheat, but that it is also very easy to beat (like most mahjong AIs).

Stop discarding dangerous tiles to everyone's riichi when you are over nine thousand shanten away from tenpai. Resources:

http://www.osamuko.com/umaikeiki-defens ... -and-suji/
http://www.osamuko.com/defense-guide-2- ... -dama-ten/
http://www.osamuko.com/basic-defense-te ... n-mahjong/
http://www.osamuko.com/yaku-defense-gui ... d-yakuhai/

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks for those links. I'll look them over when I get the time. It's kind of a releif that I'm just horrible at defense because that way I can improve then have cheating AI to have to deal with. While me getting ron'd 100% was only that one game, I've still been ron'd far to many times to keep going like I was.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 am

Mahjong is not about the "times" you ron and get ron'd, but I am glad.

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:30 am

I think my problem is that I'm just on my worst losing streak on the graph. Nothing's going my way on any hand, such as losing to a double riichi, getting ron'd when I riichi, discarding a tile discarded only two turns ago and getting ron'd, close to a flush but not picking any tile in the suit, and so on (the so on is every hand had something horrible happen). I'm not playing any worse then I was on my winning streaks so I'm sure it will pass eventually and should be even better if I keep up the defensive strategies I've learned (which has done me no good so far due to my horrible luck).

EDIT: Next game, I was one away from a good hand and got ron'd for half my points (the other person had only recently pon'd something so I had no clue he was even close). Next turn I didn't have any 100% safe tiles when someone riichi'd, so I just tossed one of the tiles for the heck of it and got hit with an ippatsu six dora that took 24,000 points, making me lose everything on only the second hand of the match. Let's just say I'm done for tonight.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 pm

It would be nice if you could post here a replay of one of your games, so we could check is something is wrong with your playing, and give you some advices, or if you're just unlucky.

Not sure you can do that with PSP Fightclub, however.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Shirluban wrote:It would be nice if you could post here a replay of one of your games, so we could check is something is wrong with your playing, and give you some advices, or if you're just unlucky.

Not sure you can do that with PSP Fightclub, however.
All you could see is a picture of my graph taking a horrible turn into the pits of doom. However, I just recently won roughly 30,000 points in my last game so I think I just got out of my bad luck. They didn't ron me or pull any crazy things like their double riichi's and whatnot.