MFC SP for Android/Iphone... region-blocked.

http://www.konami.jp/mfc/

Moderator: Shirluban

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

MFC SP for Android/Iphone... region-blocked.

Post by Senechal » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:43 am

Hey,

I just wanted to post an update about the new game that the JPML organization helped put out, and advertised at the WRC in Paris, a few weeks ago.

http://p.eagate.573.jp/game/mfc/mfcsp/p/?___REDIRECT=1

Now a contact of mine tried logging in and said that all he saw were Europeans on the server, and not many. Intrigued, I tried logging into my phone to download the app...

"This item is not available in your country."

Blame... Canada?

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MFC SP for Android/Iphone... region-blocked.

Post by gemma » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Senechal! Thanks for posting this. I'll let JPML know... I suspect it'll be some strange rights issue. If I find out, I'll let you know!

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: MFC SP for Android/Iphone... region-blocked.

Post by Senechal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Osamu reported that people from some specific countries could access the game.

This might be rude for me saying this, and I absolutely don't trust another website to approve my comment... but this seems to be something that is defective by design. The Japanese model of managing rights often leads to things being done in either legal grey zones or by circumventing things, and I don't buy the reasoning behind it. Sega and Konami seem to be the worst offenders on the subject (remember all the notices on your favorite arcade machine?) and to be quite honest, I'm tired of it.

When the game is no longer region-locked, I'll get to trying it out. Until then, I'm not inclined to try out something I was invited to (by the JPML staff) and then denied (by the Android app store, given the conditions inputted).