Dora Experiment

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Dora Experiment

Post by Benjamin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Try playing with this restriction:

You can only discard dora if it makes you tenpai.

I dont think this is particularly good strategy (some people do) but trying this out definitely helped my play.

Post impressions!

sir_seagill
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Dora Experiment

Post by sir_seagill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 am

I always feel a little uneasy whenever I get a single dora in my starting hand that has nothing near it (especially if it\'s an honor tile.. with value) Do I get rid of it asap so no one can pon it? What if they already have a pair? What if I draw another one later on?

If I keep it, it tends to get nearly to the end and then I have to discard it to get into tenpai and it freaks me out cos usually it\'s a live tile...

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 am

Hmm, could try that out some time, but I always tend to have the same problem with seagill, I get dora but nothing connects to it.

As a strategy it is a bit risky, but the reward for success is really worth it.

Arcade
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Arcade » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:46 am

We should add the rule of \"No honor tiles on the 1st discard\" to this, Janki-style mahjong.

The drawback is that if anyone knows you\'re following the restrictions, discarding dora means the same as reach. :side:

Archon_Wing
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Archon_Wing » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 am

I haven\'t tried it out yet, but I expect a number of negative scores. ;)

anbujustin
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by anbujustin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 pm

I tried this last night (holding dora and honor tiles) and it was awesome!

It might have been all luck but I was getting dragons way more often that I did before. The scary part is when you dont get them at all but I find that people will discard them so now theyre safe tiles later on too.

However it seems like I help people with ron more often than before but not to a significantly huge amount as long as I pay attention

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Mon May 18, 2009 1:37 pm

sir_seagill wrote:I always feel a little uneasy whenever I get a single dora in my starting hand that has nothing near it (especially if it\'s an honor tile.. with value) Do I get rid of it asap so no one can pon it? What if they already have a pair? What if I draw another one later on?
I would tend to defer for a FEW discards as I quite often pick up something useful within 2-4 tiles from the wall.

Good advice is to learn patience with any variant of mahjong. I have been playing chinese mahjong for 28 years only recently finding the differences with Japanese Riichi. Having not played for a while I drifted back into a more aggressive discard regime and my game deteriorated.

If your end hand is clear then feel free to discard otherwise wait for a few tiles off the wall and discard only when you feel safe

A recent hand taught me some patience ... I was dealt .....

green-dra green-dra green-dra 6-bam :north :north :north

Prevailing Wind :east and Dora Indicator 5-bam

Two tiles later I was ready when the player opposite dropped 6-bam :ohmy:

A couple of draws later I drew 6-bam claimed the kong and turned over the kan-dora :west

Two turns later tsume 24,000 ... darn shame it was only against 3 computer opponents! However, the lesson learned has brought dividends on tenhou where I am starting to hold my own.