Claiming the Pei in 3 Player Mah Jong

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

sir_seagill
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Claiming the Pei in 3 Player Mah Jong

Post by sir_seagill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm

In 3 player mah jong, you can put the pei to the side and it counts as a dora. I was wondering whether people could ron off that pei when they declare it (for 13 wonders or even a normal hand with a single wait on a pei or something like that) thanks.

Also do they get any yaku for it if you can?

5dots
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Claiming the Pei in 3 Player Mah Jong

Post by 5dots » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:58 am

sir_seagill wrote:In 3 player mah jong, you can put the pei to the side and it counts as a dora. I was wondering whether people could ron off that pei when they declare it (for 13 wonders or even a normal hand with a single wait on a pei or something like that) thanks.

Also do they get any yaku for it if you can?
You can declare it but sometimes there\'s a limit: You can use pei and/or declear a pei only if your hand is a pei-required yakuman e.g. 13 wonders, 4 winds (as in "hangame")

I don\'t think there\'s a yaku for it so far (though it is similar as grabbing kong) - at least there isn\'t in tenhou.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2009011217gm-0 ... &tw=0&ts=7

Yukun
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Yukun » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 pm

hm,I thought claimed Pei would be considered as kind of \"An-kan\", but in Tenhou it seems, claimed Pei is same as discarding.

What would be standard rule for this?

I think that should be seen as kind of \"kan\", so people can ron it and \"Chan-kan\" will be added for one yaku.

Since many people claim 3player Mah Jong is not Mah Jong, any rule can be applied...(House-rule style).

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:46 pm

I\'d tend to agree with Yukun. Since there\'s no official league for 3-player Mahjong, house rules rule. I\'ve even played that you\'re allowed to pon a declared pei if you\'ve got two of them.

sir_seagill
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by sir_seagill » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:47 am

yea, I\'m just sorta following tenhou atm.. that link basically cleared it up - thanks 5dots. Interesting you didn\'t get one of those instant win hands for it (renhou or something? for winning on the first discard)

Allowing a player to pon a declared pei makes sense to me (dono if you can do it on tenhou) like if you\'re going for 4 big winds.

Osamu
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Osamu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:50 pm

sir_seagill wrote:yea, I\'m just sorta following tenhou atm.. that link basically cleared it up - thanks 5dots. Interesting you didn\'t get one of those instant win hands for it (renhou or something? for winning on the first discard)

Allowing a player to pon a declared pei makes sense to me (dono if you can do it on tenhou) like if you\'re going for 4 big winds.
tenhou doesn\'t have renhou

sir_seagill
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by sir_seagill » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:34 pm

ah I see, but that would count as renhou yea?
(That makes you wonder, if you declared a pei on the first turn, then discarded a tile which someone ronned - does that count as a renhou? hm...)