Heya, WTHWYDH... declare or not?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Yttrasil
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Heya, WTHWYDH... declare or not?

Post by Yttrasil » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:29 pm

So here\'s a new one i find somewhat interesting, what do think?
Important to notice this is East ONLY so the first one who gets over 30000 points wins the game.

Have fun :P

http://f.imagehost.org/0559/naniyaru.jpg bigger image

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Heya, WTHWYDH... declare or not?

Post by Benjamin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 pm

Which ranking system is this? Is it the one where you only gain rating points if you get 1st and only lose if you get 4th? If so, since its the last round and you\'re not in 1st, I don\'t see why you shouldn\'t declare the kan and get an extra draw out of it.

In fact, no matter what scoring system it was, I\'d declare the kan here. You\'re only in 2nd by 1000 points.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:46 pm

Kan, go for the Toitoi, 3han 40fu gives 5200pt(iirc)...

Ben, note that this is East only which has gone to sudden death, basically the winner of this hand wins as long as his total score goes over 30k.

sir_seagill
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by sir_seagill » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:39 pm

yea.. get another draw.. don\'t see why not - unless you\'re scared it will give someone else more dora..

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:09 am

WorTeX wrote:Kan, go for the Toitoi, 3han 40fu gives 5200pt(iirc)...

Ben, note that this is East only which has gone to sudden death, basically the winner of this hand wins as long as his total score goes over 30k.
Right. But you\'d go over even with 3900 so the increase to your score doesn\'t factor into your decision, right? This seems like a pretty clear cut decision to me.

5dots
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by 5dots » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Kan it.
Drawing one more tile is better than \"begging\" for the discarded one, especially when there is nobody reach now.

Yttrasil
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Yttrasil » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:22 am

Heya, so here\'s my opinion on this. All I need to win this whole game is get into the lead. I already have enough points to get over 30k and into first place no matter how I win. First place is like +30 2nd +10 3rd 0 4th -40 or the like, so whatever happen I don\'t want to get last and it would be great to get a win

The question is whether to kann and get another draw or just not, to play it safe and hope for someone else to discard it. The pro of kanning is of course that I\'ll get another draw and a bigger chance to win.
What speaks against this on the other hand is that it will add more doras and also might get me an unsafe tile that makes someone else win of my discard. What scares me with kanning is that the possibility of me ending up last increases by some margin as the average hand I\'ll throw for the others will increase, also this might make the players with a lower score able to win more and get more easily get 30k and end the game.

Thing is the 1s might seem quite safe for them to throw as the 4s already is thrown by two of us, and that the chance of drawing one of the 3 tiles that are left for me to win on is quite low.

I\'m not sure at all what decision is the best here but I\'d rather be safe than sorry here actually and I say not to kann it. For those of you who are able to read Japanese here are some more thoughts on this from other people in a Japanese forum.

http://mahjong.xrea.jp/mahjong/mahjong. ... %95%D4%90M

Edit: Dammit Japanese still not working, so here\'s a link to the page instead.

So it seems to be like 50/50 from their posts, maybe a slight advantage to not kann it. I really wonder what is best here. Would be great to get some more opinions on this one :D

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Kan it.
Two of your foes can go over 30000 points without extra dora anyway, so I\'ll draw one more tile.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Yttrasil
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Yttrasil » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:43 pm

I disagree, the biggest factor is that I don\'t want the one with the lower score being able to surpass me more easily and adding a kan might either help them win more is just me lose more if I throw the winning tile to one of the other.

LOL also btw, who is this person supposed to be in the other forums? You Shirluban? :D
Re: Kann suru? - The Emperor 2009/02/02(Mon) 23:39 No.30838
You\'re all buttheads, this is an obvious KAN カン

Ur a butthead in my opinion. ;)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Yttrasil wrote:I disagree, the biggest factor is that I don\'t want the one with the lower score being able to surpass me more easily and adding a kan might either help them win more is just me lose more if I throw the winning tile to one of the other.
Let\'s say all of us are right :P
I agree this kan is dangerous, but I\'ll still take that risk.
LOL also btw, who is this person supposed to be in the other forums? You Shirluban? :D
Nope.

If it\'s not "Shirluban" or "Red Shark", it\'s not me.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world