WWYD 5/16

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

WWYD 5/16

Post by deJENNerate » Fri May 22, 2009 2:42 am

ok, this one was a bit late too but there\'s still time before the new one comes out!

This was from one of our meet-ups. GO!

Monadology
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:WWYD 5/16

Post by Monadology » Fri May 22, 2009 3:05 am

Seeing as the one pin is the dora, and the nine of bamboo is a pretty safe discard (six of bamboo in West\'s discard, and a nine of bamboo in both North and East\'s discards) I would cut the nine of bamboo. That\'s my initial reaction, of course, but it\'s probably what I would decide within whatever time limit is present.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Fri May 22, 2009 4:32 am

I tend to agree - the 9-Bamboo safe to Oya and North and almost certainly safe to West (6-9), but depending on the mood at the table (there is always some \"extra\" factor to consider!!), I\'d not throw it just yet.

The 7-Bamboo discard is a bit riskier, but as no 8-Bamboo are showing it might improve my odds of going out (4 x 8-Bamboo v 2 x 7-Bamboo).

I don\'t really want to end up Tenpai and having to declare Riichi on a double head wait with one 1-Coin already showing and as North just discarded the 4-Bamboo a 7-B discard might work (but North could easily be waiting to finish on 7-Bamboo)...

If the 7-Bamboo discard works I would have more flexibility, a chance for Pinfu and some safe tiles to discard!

I\'ll keep the 1-Coin dora tiles for as long as possible... If Oya goes Riichi they may prove useful as discards, along with the 5-Bamboo, depending on how things look with West and North.

North is probably going for Tanyao, but may have an East Wind set...

If the 8-Bamboo comes quickly, I\'d chance a 3-Coin throw if Oya has not gone Riichi as I don\'t think North\'s hand is expensive...

Or, if the 3-Coins turns into a 2-3-4 or 3-4-5 set, it would be nice to ditch the 7-Bamboo and declare Riichi with the 9-Bamboo waiting for the 6 and 3-Bamboo...

So - if I\'m feeling optimistic, the 7-Bamboo goes out and see what happens...

DH

gezzar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by gezzar » Sat May 23, 2009 1:58 am

I would rule out discarding the 7bamboo tile. 9 is not altogether safe (dealer discarded it in the first discard, so it is still possible he is waiting for this tile), but it is not so risky as to not warrant going for the win (seeing as you have 2 dora tiles). Also the 7-9 wait isn\'t exactly very appealing anyway. 3dots is too risky, who knows who maybe waiting for that tile. If you want to be ultra safe, then discard the 4 bamboos... but seeing as though you have a potentially decent hand there (especially if you go out on a 1dot pung) I wouldn\'t bother being so conservative.

** Note: I have no idea whether any of the players are in richii since i\'ve never played ron2 b4

July
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by July » Sat May 23, 2009 3:59 am

I don\'t see a problem with cutting the 7b here... I don\'t really know what makes people say it\'s risky. The 4b just passed a couple throws ago, anyway.

I guess you can throw 9b and hope for dora 3, but one 1d is already showing, so...

Monadology
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Monadology » Sat May 23, 2009 5:29 am

gezzar wrote:9 is not altogether safe (dealer discarded it in the first discard, so it is still possible he is waiting for this tile)
He could be waiting on it, but he can\'t ron on it. Furiten (sacred discard) and all that. So it\'s safe for you.

If you\'re really unlucky, the player to your right (West seat) could be on a pair wait for it. They can\'t be on a dual pon wait (because three are accounted for), can\'t be on an open wait (without furiten, because of that 6 in their discard) and, of course, can\'t be on a closed wait (since that\'s impossible with terminals). They\'d have to have the fourth and final 9 and be in tenpai on that rather unlikely wait, which would be very odd.

The 9 is pretty much entirely safe.

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Sat May 23, 2009 6:33 am

3-dot in a second.

It locks dora as your pair and gives you 5 tiles to get from isshanten to tenpai.

If you really wanted to fold the hand, you could, but why bother? Since dora is 1, the guy across from you couldn\'t have anything expensive.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Sat May 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Hmm discarding the 9-bam seems the best course of action here (for me at last), it\'s because seeing the points it would really hurt to deal into a mangan, if our points would be higher (at least with 2000 or more) then i would risk the 3-dot for sure.

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Sat May 23, 2009 4:32 pm

I\'m not sure why people are afraid of discarding into north\'s hand. It\'s probably not worth more than 1000 points and you still have your turn as dealer left. Why am I so confident it\'s cheap? He almost certainly doesn\'t have any dora since 3 of them are visible and he\'s probably going for tanyao, which can\'t have 1-dot in it.

9-bam or any other discard doesn\'t make much sense to me since if you\'re not going to completely fold the hand, you\'ll wind up discarding 3-dot or 1-dot anyways if you want to get tenpai.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Sat May 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Well yea it\'s not a big deal to just get ronned by the opposite player but, who knows maybe this is the last turn, or maybe you won\'t even get a good hand at the next round, everything is quite possible, depending of the situation. I think throwing the 9-bam buys you precious time, and who know maybe next turn i would discard the 3-dot. (i sure don\'t like to deal into anyone\'s hand because then my bad luck strikes and i just can\'t get back with my score, so that\'s why i would discard the safest tile first)

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Sun May 24, 2009 1:33 am

I like the 3-dot

Get some value or you might as well fold the hand.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Mon May 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi HotelSFR,

Do you mean you like the 3-Coins as a tile to keep or as a tile to discard?

My guess is that you are saying you would NOT throw it...

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 pm

I mean I would discard the 3-dot

:)

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Tue May 26, 2009 2:08 pm

I see! Thanks.

Happily, I mentioned it as a discard if nothing turns up, but as no coins between 2 and 5 are showing, I thought I\'d keep it for now and wait and see...

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 pm

I do think that\'s a good idea in general, but in a case like this if you don\'t insist on a dora pair (and thus throw the 3-dot) you\'re not going to have a hand worth winning with.

Ending with a closed wait for 2-dot would mean you forego a chance at pinfu and pretty much limit your score to a measly 2-han. With the dora pair and pinfu you are in mangan territory.

In this case I would throw the 3-dot because it\'s only going to get more dangerous with time and you\'ll probably have to get rid of it if you commit to the dora pair.

If the board looked much riskier or I had a good lead to defend I might consider playing more conservatively and hold the 3-dot, either waiting to use it or to withhold and fold.