Instant Regret!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Milkmaniac
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Instant Regret!

Post by Milkmaniac » Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 am

I am wondering how many others have had similar experiences of, or formal terms for, discarding a tile...and then almost immediately wishing it back. My friends and I refer to this as \'Instant Regret.\' It normally goes like this:

#1: ::discard tile::
~1sec
#1: \"...ARGH! Instant regret!\"

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Instant Regret!

Post by Barticle » Wed May 20, 2009 10:16 am

I find a simple \"Doh!\" does the job.

This is one of many situations where real life needs an Undo function! :laugh:

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Thu May 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Barticle wrote:This is one of many situations where real life needs an Undo function! :laugh:
+10 (+1 is too low)
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Tha_Reaper
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tha_Reaper » Thu May 21, 2009 9:32 pm

i so recognise this :P
most of the time because of time pressure, or even more stupid: a missclick (i only play online so far)

July
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by July » Thu May 21, 2009 9:50 pm

Yeah... that pretty much happens to everyone! In my case it\'s mostly when I forget to check the dora indicator, and end up throwing it on the first go.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Yea this is quite common, but overtime I just got used to the pressure of the time online and now i don\'t \"regret\" so many discards as i were at start. So far my biggest missclick was on a damned laptop where i accidentally thrown away my tsumo (rendering me furiten oh yea.....)

Milkmaniac
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Milkmaniac » Thu May 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Regarding the Dora indicator, tell me about it. I\'ve been bad about checking it, too, lately =) I\'m getting together with my group to play in person tomorrow night, though, so I hope I\'m more aware!

Rissun
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rissun » Wed May 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Just today on the MJ4 Arcade game I clicked Pon instead of ron....

In real games ( 95% of my games) a quick \"Shoganei\" is thought and it is again my drawing turn.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 pm

July wrote:I forget to check the dora indicator
Me too, but I like to look on this as a positive thing - it´s a nice surprise when you get the extra doubles, especially if you have a pung or kong of dora! :)

I´ve just started playing Mahjong Taikai IV (PS3) and there are a couple of nice/cute features. When you self-draw a dora tile it flashes and makes a little tinkle sound. :) Also when you move your cursor over your tiles any dora briefly flash black so you think twice before discarding.

New question - what phrase do you use when you´re close to making Kokushi Musou (13 Orphans) and another player declares a kong of wind tiles, and is it suitable for polite company? :lol:

(this happened to me, and it wasn´t!)

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Well Barticle i think i would be in RAGE leaving the room for a couple of minutes :D But also just think about it in a different context, like what face would your friends make when they just upgrade their pon-s into a kan and you ron them for a kokushi on their wind :D i think THAT would be priceless :D

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Milkmaniac wrote:I am wondering how many others have had similar experiences of, or formal terms for, discarding a tile...and then almost immediately wishing it back
Just had a run earlier today of that, frequently frustrated, getting ready well in advance of the third row hand after hand ... only to be pipped at the last or drawn out. Then I found myself ready in a hand after only a few discards and I discarded the wrong tile (careless fingers on a laptop trackpad). By the time I reconstructed my hand someone else tsumed:S

After a frustrating couple of hours (losing a few games despite very good hands) of not winning a single hand eventually when dealt another promising hand with many options I got fed up and just went for it ponned the :east:east:east very early followed by a good run of drawing & claiming the dragons breaking up & dropping the suits as I went

dora indicator=9-crak
round east3 seat :west

:east :east :east green-dra green-dra green-dra white-dra white-dra white-dra :west :west 2-crak 3-crak Reached and pulled 1-crak Haneman :P Back in the game

Thats the thing I like about this game, even when you do all the right things and things go wrong over and over again sooner or later you get a hand that cheers you up :woohoo:

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Nice hand!

I\'m assuming you didn\'t reach... the hand was not closed, right?

Did you have a chance to Pon the West and go for a nice single wait Toi-Toi?

If so you could have had Baiman. If three of the sets were closed you even have had Sanbaiman (which is rarer than Yakuman) with Three Concealed Sets on top of Toi-Toi.

Honroutou (All Honors and Terminals) or even All Honors Yakuman are right there too. Honroutou + single wait on the Dora would have given a Sanbaiman or Kazoe Yakuman as well!

:east :east :east white-dra white-dra white-dra green-dra green-dra green-dra :west :west :west 1-crak win: 1-crak

Of course, the important thing is going for the hand size you actually need at that particular point. How did the rest of the game play out?

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:02 pm

and a few turns later ... round South1 seat south. West comfortably ahead.

dora indicator 3-bam

4-dot 4-dot 4-dot 2-bam 4-bam 6-bam 6-bam 6-bam 7-bam 7-bam :north :north :north

I reached (desparately trying to close the gap between myself and player to my right) leaving me a inside wait (no 3-bam used except dora indicator)

3-bam drawn :west ura dora

It\'s turning out to be a good day :woohoo:

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:38 pm

HotelFSR wrote:Nice hand!

I\'m assuming you didn\'t reach... the hand was not closed, right?

Did you have a chance to Pon the West and go for a nice single wait Toi-Toi?

How did the rest of the game play out?
white-drawhite-drawhite-dra and :west:west self drawn

The :west:west were the only west tiles remaining, I had :west 2-crak 3-crak in the hand towards the end when the second :west discard appeared followed by drawing west on my next draw. As it completed the pair leaving me a outside draw for the chow to win (at ~14 discards), I just sat and waited (and hoped that it wouldn\'t be just another great hand about to go down the pan)

Actually this broke a long losing streak and I cleared up on the next two games before returning to another long streak of near misses.

Zi Rong Low
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Zi Rong Low » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:21 pm

That happened to me quite often in the past!!! These days I try to discard the tiles which I don\'t want and are less likely to reappear. I do this by looking at the discard pile and see if somebody has already thrown it out...