It's time for What Would You Discard! (July 11th)

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

TropicSmoothie
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

It's time for What Would You Discard! (July 11th)

Post by TropicSmoothie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Alright guys, TropicSmoothie here with the latest What Would You Discard from Jenn!

Situation: You are in the West seat during the 1st hand of the East Round.

The Dora/Lucky Tile is: 6-crak

Your hand is 4-crak 4-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north

Drawing: 5-crak

Discuss away folks, we want as many thoughts as possible, don\'t be afraid to confuse some people, we want to hear it all!

misterbalrog
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:It's time for What Would You Discard! (July 11th)

Post by misterbalrog » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:44 pm

TropicSmoothie wrote:Situation: You are in the West seat during the 1st hand of the East Round.

The Dora/Lucky Tile is: 6-crak

Your hand is 4-crak 4-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north

Drawing: 5-crak
I would probably discard 4-crak

This would set up this possible hand;

4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam :north :north

Where you have 2 tiles to wait for. So really, even 5-bam is a possible option in that regard. Depends on what has been thrown out on the table already.

My reasoning being that 4-crak is far enough away from the dora to be "uninteresting" for the other players (following the 1-4-7 guide). Aiming for a riyanpeikou with 445566 and 223344 seems a bit greedy to me.

Pekepan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Pekepan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:54 pm

misterbalrog wrote:4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam :north :north

Where you have 2 tiles to wait for. So really, even 5-bam is a possible option in that regard. Depends on what has been thrown out on the table already.
I agree with misterbalrog, assuming that I would go for a win.

What I would do with this hand would depend on how far into the game I am. If I was dealt this hand, I may toss both of the :north if something that gives me more waits comes out to get pinfu. Same with the 9-crak so I can get tanyao, but it really depends on how many good draws you get. Who knows? If you another 5-crak and 6-crak, you can go for ryanpeiko/two double chows, tanyao, pinfu, and you\'d get a nice mangan, maybe even haneman if you riichi or hit a dora.

If it is late in the game, depending on the discards I might decide to play defensive.

I would do what misterbalrog did if it was the middle of the game. Here are a few other ways to get tenpai/ready.

After discarding the 4-crak, you would have:

4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north

You are 1 shanten (1 from tenpai/ready). You\'ll be ready if you get 9-crak 2-bam 3-bam or :north:

Draw 9-crak -
Discard 2-bam to get
4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north
Waiting for 3-bam 6-bam

Discard 4-bam to get
4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north
:north:
Waiting for 2-bam :north

Draw 2-bam - discard 4-bam to get
4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north
Waiting for 9-crak :north

Draw 3-bam - discard 5-bam to get
4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam :north :north
Waiting for 9-crak :north

Draw:north -
Discard 2-bam to get
4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north :north
Waiting for 3-bam 6-bam

Discard 4-bam to get
4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north :north
Waiting for 9-crak, 2-bam

Whew! That\'s a lot of waits!

Anyway, I think the main thing to realize here is that since you have 2 isolated pairs, one of them must pung or be discarded (unless you go chitoitsu/7 Pairs). That\'s why the first tiles you think of needing are the 9-crak and :north since they will give you options for multiple waits depending on the discards on the table.

Other thoughts?

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm

It all depends in this case on how I feel!

1. If it\'s early in the hand and I\'m drunk &/or tired &/or lazy, then just keep flipping out those single tiles and hope for a quick Tempai on 7-Pairs, ideally with the 6-Characters happily married to its mate!

2. Otherwise, I\'d get rid of the North tiles if I\'m feeling aggressive. The 9-Characters would be next on my discard list (or vice-versa, depending on the look of the board)...

Pekepan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Pekepan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Does anyone tell us if we\'re right or not somewhere along the line? O.o

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:16 pm

:laugh: The question is \"what would *you* discard?\" and only you know the answer to that!

Pekepan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Pekepan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Hmmmm... I suppose :P I really wanna hear with Jenn or Garth would discard, though.

kylone
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by kylone » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:47 am

I\'ve had a similar hand with that bamboo run, and I ended up getting myself into furiten with trying to getting iiipeikou (oops)

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 am

I would most likely try a quick Chi Coi Tsu win basically. I think there would be too many dangers if I went for too many combo options on the others. And there was no 7-crak for any Dora.

You could really wait for a lot of combos with this one, but you might also Furiten yourself if it got out of control.

But then again I\'m a beginner :laugh:

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:51 pm

If I had just one less pair, I would discard :north.
Seven pairs is a serious option here, so I\'ll probably keep all my pairs and discard 5-bam.

2-bam is an option too, the hand would look like:
4-crak 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 9-crak 9-crak 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 5-bam :north :north
ii-shanten, tenpai when we get either 3-bam 6-bam 9-crak :north
We loose the option for ii/ryan-peikou (few hope anyway) and for seven pairs. But it avoids discarding the 4-crak too soon (it can be linked to a dora), and gives an open wait.

Depends on the mood, if it\'s early or late in the game, opponents\' discards, ...
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Nisse
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Nisse » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 am

I think you\'re settling for too low of a hand by discarding 4-crak . This is the first hand of the East round, and guessing you don\'t know your opponent too well I\'d say :north is safer, and better. You have just to much opportunity here for a great hand while keeping it safe.

If you get any crak except 1-crak you will benefit from it. Also you have the opportunity to get tanyao chu, iipeikou (even ryan peikou). If you throw away 4-crak your hand is pretty much set and you won\'t have much of an escape route. Going for the 7 pairs isn\'t something i would do either, it isn\'t that rewarding and only leaves 1 wait, and in this case it\'s a high chance of being the dora (or you\'d have to discard it). But ofcourse.. it all depends on how the game looks like :)

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:17 am

I`d like to throw the 5-bam in this situation if it`s early in the hand. If it`s later in the hand and the 5 looks dangerous, I`d throw the 2. I`m a sucker for a good i-pei-ko.

Wow... go me for bumping an 8 month old topic... I need to check the dates more