Mahjong Video Games -

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

suihi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Mahjong Video Games -

Post by suihi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:12 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see what people think of playing mahjong video games versus CPU opponents. Do you think it makes you improve? De-improve? Do you think they play at all like real people would? Do you think they cheat?

I play mahjong on my PSP from time to time, such as when I\'m on the subway, and I can\'t say I\'ve felt myself improve at all. Actually, I almost feel like I\'ve gotten worse. I find it hard to pay attention to what the CPUs discard simply because of how fast they play, so I feel like I\'ve become sloppy.

The ones I\'ve played are Mahjong Haou Dankyuu Battle and Mahjong Fight Club Zenkoku Taisenban. I\'ve also tried Jan Sangoku Musou but I hate it - I\'m pretty sure the game cheats pretty badly.

What is your experience with them? Any ones in particular you thought were good? Out of Mahjong Haou and Mahjong Fight Club, I guess I like Mahjong Fight Club better, but I think their taste in music could be a bit better. :)

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re:Mahjong Video Games -

Post by alban lusitanae » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Sushi

Well I normally play GameDesign\'s Japanese Mahjong,
and the game has a high cheatingbastness
(aka is programmed to cheat)

I like it a lot since it\'s a tough game and to win you really have to be good. The game play also explains you what was won and everything (many games have the fans in japanese), so it\'s a great place to start.

try this

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.swf

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:23 pm

For CPU opponents, I usually play the Pro CPU mode in Mahjong Fight Club DS. I\'m quite convinced the AI on MFC doesn\'t cheat, nor do they collude with each other; I\'ve seen instances of two CPUs tenpai waiting for the same wind tile, each holding two. The only problem is, the MFC AI is rather weak defensively, so I can ron stuff way too easily. I think it behaves like a ridiculously risk-averse human, in that it HAS to be either menzen or have one yaku at all times, and will do anything short of breaking menzen to be tenpai when there\'s few tiles left even if it means discarding a blatantly dangerous tile. As a result, I think playing against it has helped improve my offensive game, but it\'s done nothing for my defensive game.

I\'ve also played Touhou Unreal Mahjong, which has some interesting house rules and optional \"special abilities\". Fun game and an interesting diversion, but the AI is a LOT weaker than in MFC and it doesn\'t seem to affect my actual skill at all whatsoever, mostly because the table rules make strategy much different than any conventional Reach Mahjong game.

And then there\'s Yakuman DS. The AI cheats so blatantly that it\'s more like playing a slot machine. The frequency with which it can pull off a Double Reach is downright ridiculous, not to mention its equally ridiculous yakuman frequency. Though since this game came from the same people who made Mario Kart, it was probably to be expected.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 am

I\'ve test driven Naki no Ryu for the Sharp X68000.

AI is irrelevant at this point, it\'s if the tiles are spiked and how badly. Getting Kokushi in some cases was sheer fantasy, yet you still got it.

Other power/ability based games like Usagi and Touhou can\'t be counted on an AI scale either. That doesn\'t leave many options left, and of them, not many are even fun to play. Everyone has their own tendencies in determining what is fun or not.
Club Riichi de Montréal (Canada) http://riichi.ca/ (If you're from elsewhere, keep in touch with us too!)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:07 pm

I´m without net access at home so I only play offline against the computer. It does shift your expectations, for example I expect to be able to complete a blatant open chinitsu without much opposition.

I started out playing the mahjong minigames in the Yakuza (Ryuu ga Gotoku) series, then graduated onto Mahjong Taikai IV ...and my import copy of Mahjong Fight Club (PS3) just arrived yesterday! :laugh:

I had to wonder about the bias on MFC when I almost made honroutou on my very first hand! It was just a fluke though.

I didn´t have much time last night to play but all the options and stats look great. B) I also found Jenn and Garthe in the list of pro players - and used the sound-test to hear them speak (in Japanese of course).

suihi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by suihi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:22 am

Barticle, how do you like Mahjong Taikai? I\'ve been eyeing it and Mahjong Fight Club for PS3, but I haven\'t been able to find much information (I\'m particularly looking for trailers and gameplay videos) at all. I\'d buy Mahjong Fight Club in an instant, but several things bug me about it (the layout, music, and the way the yaku are read out at the end is a bit sloppy compared to the other series).

I hope a console mahjong game with a 3-player mode comes soon. The arcade games MJ3 Evo/4 and Mahjong Fight Club 6/7 have it, so my guess is that the next generation of mahjong console games (if there will be one) will include it!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 am

suihi wrote:Barticle, how do you like Mahjong Taikai?
Well, I´ve been playing it quite happily (and quite obsessively!) for the past three months. The only reasons that I´ve bought MFC now are that I quite enjoy trying to figure out all the options in Japanese and I get the feeling that more people play MFC so writing a guide for it could be more useful.

The reason I originally chose Taikai over MFC was mainly the game view. Mahjong Taikai IV has a full realistic table display, uncluttered by numbers and counters. You can press a button to see the scores and seat winds but otherwise you can work out the seat winds from the dealer marker and the number of remaining tiles by looking at the wall, just like you would in a real game.

There´s a good range of options, stats and custom rules, although I think MFC has the edge in this respect and it´s worth noting that the PS3 version of Taikai doesn´t have red fives (although the Wii one does).

Of course I´m not playing online so I can´t comment on how busy the servers are. I wonder if the console version of MFC ties into the same system as the networked arcade cabinets?

Taikai can be played one-handed if you´re feeling lazy but MFC has mouse support which is a novelty (I haven´t tried it yet).

I like the overall points/rank system in MFC - even in offline play it keeps a running total (it can go down as well as up!). This encourages me to be more responsible in my play, although you still have the option of a free game with custom rules which doesn´t affect your standing.
I\'ve been eyeing it and Mahjong Fight Club for PS3, but I haven\'t been able to find much information (I\'m particularly looking for trailers and gameplay videos) at all.
I´d suggest taking a look over my Mahjong Taikai IV guide* - it should give you a good idea of the features and options available. I´ll take a couple of pics for you too and post them next week. Feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions as well.

* http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/game/930074.html (FAQ)
I\'d buy Mahjong Fight Club in an instant, but several things bug me about it (the layout, music, and the way the yaku are read out at the end is a bit sloppy compared to the other series).
Taikai has a good range of music, with over a hundred unlockable tracks. It´s very configurable too - you can make custom playlists and select different tracks to play when you´re leading on points.

I like the fact that the yaku are spoken in MFC but the score display only stays on the screen for 7-8 seconds before the game continues. On Taikai it waits for you to press X so you can study it more closely.
I hope a console mahjong game with a 3-player mode comes soon. The arcade games MJ3 Evo/4 and Mahjong Fight Club 6/7 have it, so my guess is that the next generation of mahjong console games (if there will be one) will include it!
I was wondering if there are any other MJ games on the way... Both Taikai IV and MFC were released about the same time as the PS3 launch in Japan so the graphics aren´t that impressive, although of course they don´t really need to be. Taikai was one of the first games to offer full 1080p high definition but on a 19" standard-def monitor it can be hard to read the Craks discards. I think a TV upgrade could be the answer! :)

I did have a look on Amazon Japan a while ago, searching on the kanji "maajan" under PS3 games. I found Taikai IV and MFC and there were also a couple of other things but there were no pictures... :unsure:

BTW I bought both games from an eBay trader in Hong Kong called asiaestore. They were only 22 or 23 UK pounds (each) with free shipping; really quick delivery too. Highly recommended.

alban lusitanae
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by alban lusitanae » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am

Hi

I believe this is a screenshot of MFC PS3 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9quSU4xGjU&NR=1

cheers

suihi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by suihi » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Wow Barticle, thanks for the comprehensive overview. I looked it up and it seems that the Wii counterparts of both Mahjong Taikai and MFC are updated versions of the PS3 releases (makes sense, since they came out earlier).

MFC online is a paid service (through a payment method unavailable to those not in Japan) and only links to other players on PSP and PS3. The Wii and DS seem to have their own service, and arcade is separate altogether... too bad everyone can\'t be linked together.

I looked up the kanji on Amazon (under PS3 TV Games) as well, but the two extra software are (1) some horse racing game and (2) Janline R. Janline R is a new mahjong game; I saw the trailer, and it doesn\'t look that great - seems like it\'s heavily focused on the \"play online\" feature. You can build your avatar, use a webcam, and talk to each other, but the game mechanics itself don\'t look as advanced as Taikai or MFC.

Well, we can only hope something new comes out.

And thanks for the video, alban.

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:42 am

suihi wrote:MFC online is a paid service (through a payment method unavailable to those not in Japan) and only links to other players on PSP and PS3. The Wii and DS seem to have their own service, and arcade is separate altogether... too bad everyone can\'t be linked together.
To my knowledge, MFC online has these different services:

1. Arcade service. The arcade pays something like 5000 yen or so per month for e-Amusement, which includes the latest edition of MFC as well as a lot of other Konami arcade games. Player has to pay a one-time fee for the card (or play as a guest, no records or stats), then pay per game, although doing well in a match can net you a free game or a discounted continue.
2. PSP/PS3 service. Requires payment. I think this is a monthly subscription service.
3. DS/Wii service. Free to use. On the Wii version, you can enter your e-Amusement card number and PIN to copy your data from the arcade service, but it only goes in one direction.
4. Keitai (cell phone) app service. I think this works something like the arcade version, not sure.

Each service will only match you up with players on the same service.

Also, I\'m not sure, but I think MFC Wii has an option that\'ll make the game wait after counting up yaku in offline mode.

Rambar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rambar » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:32 am

suihi wrote: I play mahjong on my PSP from time to time, such as when I\'m on the subway, and I can\'t say I\'ve felt myself improve at all. Actually, I almost feel like I\'ve gotten worse. I find it hard to pay attention to what the CPUs discard simply because of how fast they play, so I feel like I\'ve become sloppy.
I feel the same. I started playing mahjong a few weeks ago, and was lucky to get a copy of Mahjong fight club for PSP. But you only have 5 second to read your hand, check the discards and make your move, and most of the time that isnt enough time at all. There\'s a huge gap betweeen my Tenhou\'s and MFJC\'s performance (Tenhou\'s quite better), so I dont really know if playing against the CPU on MJFC is a good training. Or do you think that just means I need to become faster?.

By the way, Im new to the community, and new to Mahjong, so... hello everyone B)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:39 pm

suihi wrote:Wow Barticle, thanks for the comprehensive overview.
I´m a comprehensive kinda guy. :laugh:
MFC online is a paid service (through a payment method unavailable to those not in Japan) and only links to other players on PSP and PS3.
I see! That´s good to know, thank you.
I looked up the kanji on Amazon (under PS3 TV Games) as well, but the two extra software are (1) some horse racing game
Oh... :S At least it has "uma" in it! Haha! :laugh:
and (2) Janline R. Janline R is a new mahjong game; I saw the trailer, and it doesn\'t look that great - seems like it\'s heavily focused on the "play online" feature.
That´s interesting - I hadn´t heard about that one at all.

I found the trailer on Youtube and see what you mean!
Poochy wrote:3. DS/Wii service. Free to use. On the Wii version, you can enter your e-Amusement card number and PIN to copy your data from the arcade service, but it only goes in one direction.
My copy of MFC PS3 came with an e-Amusement Pass card with a serial number and 2D barcode on the back. I figured it was for something like this.
Rambar wrote:By the way, Im new to the community, and new to Mahjong, so... hello everyone B)
Hey Rambar. Welcome to the forum. :)
Barticle wrote:Taikai has a good range of music, with over a hundred unlockable tracks. [...]
Seems that MFC has some unlockable music elements too - I´ve got a couple so far. When I progressed from the Kyuu to Dan ranks I got a Gradius one. I´ve not heard the music since I´ve got it muted but all the sound effects (including tile discards) are replaced by 80´s video game sounds! :laugh:

I´m making good progress on my translation - have pretty much figured out all the options and rules. Now I just have the stats to work on... all fifteen pages!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Here are the screenshots of Mahjong Taikai IV as promised.

Here´s an example of me going for one of those open flushes I mentioned...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Boom! Made it - and I did quite nicely off it! :woohoo:

Please don´t think that big hands like this are the norm though. This was exceptional - must be one of my top five biggest non-yakuman hands.

And before you ask, there´s no choice of avatar. You´re always represented by the female Guide character! (shown above)

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:28 am

Barticle wrote:My copy of MFC PS3 came with an e-Amusement Pass card with a serial number and 2D barcode on the back. I figured it was for something like this.
Actually, Konami\'s been doing that for console ports of their e-Amusement arcade games for a long time; they\'re usually not for coping your data over, but instead unlockables on the arcade version. Konami often has "special edition" e-Amusement cards, which, if used to play the corresponding arcade game, will automatically unlock certain secrets or extras without having to fulfill the usual requirements. For MFC, I think this is simply the option to play with black tiles instead of white.