Mahjong Video Games -

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

suihi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Mahjong Video Games -

Post by suihi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:33 am

Wow, looks very nice! Thanks for the pictures; strangely enough, I can\'t find ANY screenshots or videos of Mahjong Taikai anywhere, so that\'s the first I\'ve really seen of the gameplay. I might have to get my hands on it soon. My only doubt is that if I buy it now, they might announce Mahjong Taikai V within the next few months.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Poochy wrote:For MFC, I think this is simply the option to play with black tiles instead of white.
Okay - so I´m not missing much then.

Taikai IV has some unlockable coloured tile sets and they look awful!
suihi wrote:Wow, looks very nice! Thanks for the pictures; strangely enough, I can\'t find ANY screenshots or videos of Mahjong Taikai anywhere, so that\'s the first I\'ve really seen of the gameplay.
I found a few pics on http://www.play-asia.com which helped influence my decision.
I might have to get my hands on it soon. My only doubt is that if I buy it now, they might announce Mahjong Taikai V within the next few months.
I do wonder how likely a new PS3 game is. Taikai IV and MFC are both good games with little room for improvement. If the developers can´t come up with a USP (unique selling point) then they wouldn´t bother.

They could make a game with better graphics now - i.e. proper player animations - but is that enough? Perhaps Sega would make a home version of the Saki edition of their networked MJ4 arcade system? There could be a market for that.

BTW I´ve unlocked another music set on MFC - this time a Castlevania one. I think MFC is definitely the top choice for the Konami otaku! :cheer: Also I´ve beaten Jenn in a pro match and stolen some sort of "fight orb" off her. :laugh:

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by iandstanley » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 pm

MFC online is a paid service (through a payment method unavailable to those not in Japan) and only links to other players on PSP and PS3. The Wii and DS seem to have their own service, and arcade is separate altogether... too bad everyone can\'t be linked together.

Not surprising really. The DS only plays over the DS\'s networking and that\'s either local wifi to Wii or Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

As I understand it, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is a server based networking architecture built to connect DS to DS. I don\'t know if you can connect Wii to DS through the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Wii-DS play can be made with the MFC Wii version downloading a DS client to any DS in local wifi range.

I suspect that the PSP/PS2/3 runs a similar service.

With the new DSi having regular internet access maybe we might be looking at a new MFC2010 for each client talking natively over the internet to MFC\'s own servers

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Here are a couple more pics I took last night.

Riichi Mahjong is one of several playable \"minigames\" in Sega´s samurai action-adventure game Ryuu ga Gotoku: Kenzan.

Yes, it´s an historical inaccuracy but it looks great in context! :)

There are two locations where you can play in the game, gambling with points bought with in-game currency. One is a MJ parlour, where the three tables give different difficulty levels...

Last edited by Barticle on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

...and the other is under a parasol on a wooden island sitting in a miniature canal in the Gion district of Kyoto.

How cool is that? :)

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:12 am

Just a side note:

I think it\'s very difficult (if not impossible) to become good by playing against AI. It\'s much easier than playing against skilled humans, and is also easier strategically.

I also don\'t think that gamedesign\'s flash mahjong cheats. It\'s still easy to beat if you play well, it just has better AI than many other games.

For example, in Ryu Ga Gotoku it\'s not hard to consistently come first about 80% of the time- even on the hardest tables!

I\'m not sure why people would forgo playing online against real players.

Just wanted to point this out for people who are really serious about improving their game.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 am

HotelFSR wrote:For example, in Ryu Ga Gotoku it\'s not hard to consistently come first about 80% of the time- even on the hardest tables!
Yeah, I built up something like 3 million points in Kenzan. :) I didn´t cash them in, but they would make a handy reserve if I ran out of money.

It does make for a less hostile way for newbie to be introduced to MJ though.
I\'m not sure why people would forgo playing online against real players.
In my case I don´t have internet access at home.

Plus I like to win more often. ;)

You make a good point though. Are any games known for having better/harder AI? Isn´t there a PSP game actually called AI Mahjong...?

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Fat Dragon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 am

Hi there!
Could anyone please tell me, if MFC for PSP has exactly the same features as the version for PS3? I guess the screen layout should be different, as you don`t have that much space on the screen of a PSP.

:unsure:

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am

I have MFC for PSP and its crap compared to MFC from DS, PS3 and PS2 as there are only few options included. But still its good for training.

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Fat Dragon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Wow, great. So it´s a stripped down version... too bad. On the other hand... that gives me a reason to buy a PS3 ;)

I didn`t know there was a PS2 version of MFC. Interesting!

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Mahjong Video Games -

Post by cavemaneca » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Any riichi games for Windows Mobile 6.5?
I'm dualbooting Android and I can run a few there, as well as tenhou online... I just want something on winmo too.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:41 pm

cavemaneca wrote:Any riichi games for Windows Mobile 6.5?
I'm afraid this question have already been discussed fully in this very short topic:
http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... 18&t=51534
In short, use a SNES/Super Famicom emulator (or another video game OS).
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by cavemaneca » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:25 am

eh I just gave up on the WinMo games...
Android workin much better anyway, and playing tenhou on it is quite good...
(and sorry, webcam is not so good)
Attachments
IMG000056.jpg
IMG000056.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 10174 times