Vietnamese version

American, Filipino... Any other rule sets you may have heard of or come across!

Moderator: Shirluban

Tom Sloper

Re: Vietnamese version

Post by Tom Sloper » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 pm

ryulusus wrote: at least the PDF deck will be much more complete.
Do you also have the Malaysian "fly" and the cat, rat, cock, worm, fisherman, fish, Liu Hai, 3-legged frog, Zhao Gong Ming, pot of gold, and Chinese "100 uses" tiles? :mrgreen:
4649おねがいします。

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ryulusus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 am

I hate you. Seriously :D

Nope, I don't. Send me some links for the tile pics (so that I can imagine the best card pic for each).
And the link for the rules as well. :))))))))

Oh, and if you can, do you remember any more joker tiles out there? I'm sure americans have some,
although the american version should be bettered and not so MtG-like...

I'll have to place here the current list of stuff I'm doing. :)

Again, thanks for all the help forumers :) I couldn't do it without you

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:31 pm

4649おねがいします。

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:05 am

Magic the Gathering, a collectible card game with lots and lots of different cards.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:29 am

Referee wrote:Magic the Gathering, a collectible card game with lots and lots of different cards.
Thank you, I know what Magic is (I have a deck). I didn't know that's what MtG stood for. And I wasn't expecting a CCG reference in this context.
Ryulusus, American mah-jongg is like Magic the Gathering??? Care to expand on that statement?
4649おねがいします。

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ryulusus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm

:)

Very broadly said, the rules in american mahjong for what I have gathered, change every year depending on a specified variable (correct me if I am mistaken)

The first thing I have remembered is the way the MtG T1 (standard) tournaments are played,
every year they say what cards can be played on that tournament.

bit far-fetched I admit, but somehow it was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw that rule. ;)

It wasn't an offense or a down grade of the american version mind you :)

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:29 pm

ryulusus wrote:The first thing I have remembered is the way the MtG T1 (standard) tournaments are played,
every year they say what cards can be played on that tournament.
I always prefer Limited. In Limited, you get a pack of cards, containing random cards (but limited to the cards in one expansion set, which list can be found in various book or websites), and then you can pass around the cards, and you have to use only the cards you collect at the end (which you get to keep after the tournament, even if you have not used them in the play of the game). You are not permitted to bring your own cards to the Limited tournament.
although the american version should be bettered and not so MtG-like...
You could also play a variation of American mahjong that you make up your own cards and then print and use those. You could vary the rules a bit, too. American mahjong is still a very different kind of game than proper mahjong. But there are many kind of mahjong games, and you can try making up your own rules if you like to do so.....

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ryulusus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:44 pm

yes i did imagine doing a version of it. hoewever i was promptly attacked because there were already too many variants. anyway ill be going on holidays soon, will think of this during it. cheers

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Guys,

My friend Dan just sent me a picture that his friend took in Vietnam. It's the first time I ever saw this set-up.
Vilketspel.jpg
Vilketspel.jpg (80.59 KiB) Viewed 15970 times

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 am

Well, it might just be three-quarters of the complete wall, as shown here:
(That's from a document I host on my site about Vietnamese mahjong.) Or it might be a three-player wall, varying from the 3P wall used in Malaysian mahjong (http://www.sloperama.com/mahjongg/malaysian.htm).
4649おねがいします。

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:31 am

Tom Sloper wrote:Well, it might just be three-quarters of the complete wall
I've thought that too, but the central section is only 12 stacks long.
The "bottom left" hand is way too short too.
And hands' size are inconsistent: 9, 13, 11 and 12 tiles.

I think it's more like a quick set-up for the picture and not an actual in-play table.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 am

Lol I'm Vietnamese and I've never even heard of Vietnamese mahjong.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:13 am

ryulusus wrote:Very broadly said, the rules in american mahjong for what I have gathered, change every year depending on a specified variable (correct me if I am mistaken)
I think they just make up new cards every year to specify what hands are available.

However, this does give me some strange idea of another kind of mahjong variant with a similar effect. Cast a horoscope for the time and place where you are playing the game. It can be updated while the game is in progress (especially the houses, and possibly the moon; usually only time is updated, although location may be updated too if you are in a car or whatever, and then you can try to predict traffic patterns to your advantage). Whatever the positions currently are decides various aspects of the rules of the game. Time controls (they could be shot clocks, chess clocks, something else, some combination, etc) will be needed so that you cannot just stall until the planets favor you. Another possible thing to add is if certain calls and/or discarding patterns and/or rounds can affect what house system is in use (possibly other things too, such as harmonic factor, time offset, etc), so that you can try to change the house system to your advantage.