Table Comments, Opinions, Praise

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Table Comments, Opinions, Praise

Post by cavemaneca » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 am

Well, decided I needed my own table...
So I want to a used items store and bought one!
After a few trips to the hardware store, a trip to a fabric store, and using some nice fancy saws at work, I think I ended up with something nice.

Table with materials laid out on top:

Table complete:

With tiles set up:

Also, here's a few more pictures... better quality than my camera phone for sure.
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... mtable.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... table2.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... table3.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... table4.jpg

mostek
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Table Comments, Opinions, Praise

Post by mostek » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:33 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
whoa, nice job man. That thing is a work of art.
I'd pay money to own one of those things. Definately beats the hell out of a mat for sure :P
御無礼、終了ですね
Goburei, Shuuryou desu ne

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Not bad, not bad at all :D
I don't really like the color of the tabletop, this blackish thingy makes it look gloomy. (I prefer green and teal ones...)
But apart from the color its a really nice piece, grats :)

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:03 pm

The table is not bad, but the tiles have a problem with tiles that are blank on both side. (I have the same tiles but white, and the white tiles has same problem. It is better if the back is different color from the front so you can tell it apart; blue or pink should be used for magnetic tiles, and other colors for non-magnetic tiles.) I think it is not really a Japanese mahjong set that you can buy in Japan, it is just some company trying to make Japanese mahjong tiles but they don't know exactly how to do so.

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by cavemaneca » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Ruro wrote:I don't really like the color of the tabletop, this blackish thingy makes it look gloomy. (I prefer green and teal ones...)
If you're talking about the felt, look at the additional pictures. It's green, my phone's camera just does a bad job of catching it right. Look at the four pictures that are just linked at the bottom(they're too big to post on forum)
zzo38 wrote:...the tiles have a problem with tiles that are blank on both side...
I've never noticed a real problem with the blank tiles. Only time I've ever had a problem of any sort with them is trying to turn all the tiles face up and flipping the white dragon tile a few times as I go... but really, when do you need them all face up? If all you are trying to do is place them face down, since they're the same on both sides the white dragon tiles don't really need to be on any specific side.
And as far as I know, I thought that mainly black sets are kinda style thing, not really anything else. As well, the sets with no colored backs are supposed to actually be like budget set? Because they almost always seem to be the cheapest.

Not my set but yeah.. http://japanese-mahjong.com/blackmjset.html
If you look it says it's shipped from japan. I personally prefer the bright colors on black tiles, really makes the color stand out.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:25 pm

cavemaneca wrote:
zzo38 wrote:...the tiles have a problem with tiles that are blank on both side...
I've never noticed a real problem with the blank tiles. Only time I've ever had a problem of any sort with them is trying to turn all the tiles face up and flipping the white dragon tile a few times as I go... but really, when do you need them all face up? If all you are trying to do is place them face down, since they're the same on both sides the white dragon tiles don't really need to be on any specific side.
And as far as I know, I thought that mainly black sets are kinda style thing, not really anything else. As well, the sets with no colored backs are supposed to actually be like budget set? Because they almost always seem to be the cheapest.
I suppose it is less problem if you build walls, but I usually keep all the tiles in the box and pick them from there, in which case it is more problem. Either way, it becomes easier to cheat when the tiles are blank on both side.
I personally prefer the bright colors on black tiles, really makes the color stand out.
If you like the black tiles that is OK. (I prefer white, but that is OK, different people have a different opinion)
http://japanese-mahjong.com/blackmjset.html If you look it says it's shipped from japan.
That is not the same set. The set mentioned in that link is a proper set (but still probably blank on both side), but the set in your picture is as fake as the set I have which is from the same manufacturer, which is not a Japanese manufacturer.

(Actually I have three mahjong sets: The YMI set, the Washizu mahjong set, and an American mahjong set. I never use the American set, however, but someone gave it to me before I had any other mahjong tiles)

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by cavemaneca » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:50 pm

NVM, I thought you said that the black sets are just someone trying to make a japanese set but not in japan, so linked a real black set from japan.

As I said, that's not my set. I actually kinda prefer the look of my set of the mustard color or whatever that they use.
And I know mine isn't a real japanese set because the optional season tiles have roman numbering.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Nice table.
If it's not to rude to ask, can you tell us how many money and time it cost you?

About the colors, you should check if your phone's camera didn't have any setups, like "white balancing".
Because turning the scoring sticks from bright white to plain yellow is very very harsh :shock:
And I don't talk about the blue "green felt" :lol:
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Camera phones are often useless for anything other than whiteboards, and sometimes useless for that, too. DSi camera is even worse.

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by cavemaneca » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Shirluban wrote:Nice table.
If it's not to rude to ask, can you tell us how many money and time it cost you?
$15 for the table, $20 for the wood I used, $10 for the materials on top(a vinyl mat and a felt top), $10-$15 for misc.(needed new washers on table, wood stain, spray adhesive, etc.). The rest of the tools I used I borrowed from my dad.

I spent one day with a orbital sander sanding down the whole table I started with, and the next day I stained it in the morning. after about 6 hours it was done, took about 2 hours to spray and staple down the mat and felt(spray adhesive between table and mat, mat and felt, staple down both), and to attach the frame(liquid nail plus some screws up from the bottom.

All in all very much worth it, didn't take too long, and would have been much faster had I bought more sand paper, since i ended up having to use really soft stuff in the end when the lower grade sand paper ran out... added like 2 hours onto the amount of time it took to sand it lol.

I can list out all the steps I took for anyone really really interested.

EDIT: Lied about the tools. I work at a plant cutting frames and used an amazingly expensive machine to cut perfect length pieces with perfect 45 angles on the ends... for free ^_^

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi again. Good to see your reposted threads getting some replies.

I think your table's really nice, especially when viewed with the true colours!

I'd give it 9/10, docking one point for not having somewhere for players to stash their sticks. You could think about maybe adding a set of four recessed grooves on each side of the top frame (like the pockets on a junk mat) but you would need some decent tools and skillz to do a neat job and it would spoil the simple aesthetics you have going on. The other option would be adding one little drawer into each side but that'd be quite a major undertaking. In both cases, easier said than done.

9/10 is still pretty good though. 8)

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by cavemaneca » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 am

I'd probably go with the drawer in the end, I'm good enough with woodworking to do it, just need the time...
I was originally going to do the recessed grooves on the frame but I felt the material was too thin to do it well.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:46 pm

So you have to sit on the floor when playing at this table?
4649おねがいします。

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Perhaps the phone camera has trouble capturing perspective as well as colour? :wink: Or the carpet has a very deep pile! :lol:

I like the old skool oriental vibe. Another possible enhancement would be to add a heater and blanket for winter games...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu
http://img01.slmame.com/usr/hikki/2008-11-14-01.jpg

cavemaneca
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by cavemaneca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Tom Sloper wrote:So you have to sit on the floor when playing at this table?
yes. I thought it would be more fun that way. plus I don't have many chairs at my place so like only 2-3 people could sit.