Asking special seven pair??

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

ghostdragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Asking special seven pair??

Post by ghostdragon » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:48 am

What happened if you get this special hand as below:
green-dra green-dra red-dra red-dra white-dra white-dra :east :east :north :north :south :south :west :west
green-dra green-dra green-dra green-dra 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 3-bam 4-bam 4-bam 6-bam 6-bam 8-bam 8-bam
1-bam 1-bam 9-bam 9-bam 1-dot 1-dot 1-dot 1-dot 9-dot 9-dot 1-crak 1-crak 9-crak 9-crak

Can these hands be counted as yakuman??? or just only seven pair??

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Re: Asking special seven pair??

Post by b4k4ni04 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:07 am

The second and third, are invalid hands, A set of four cannot be considered two pairs. So, Neither.

The first however, is TsuIiSou; All honors: Yakuman.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:17 pm

I think Seven Pairs + All Honours is the most beautiful hand you can make (two each of all seven Honours). :D

Optionally it can be scored as a double yakuman, although normally - where double yakuman are allowed - only the standard four are recognised (Big Four Winds, Thirteen Orphans on 13-sided wait, Four Concealed Pungs on pair wait and Nine Gates on 9-sided wait).

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 pm

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Dead from the start though as the across player has the two Chun. amazing they got to tempai though.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Certainly doomed to failure after turn 3 when west drops the fourth one, yeah. Don't you hate it when people do that? :roll: :lol:

I guess one of the things that makes this hand so very rare is that "normally" (not that it happens very often) you'd start ponning for a more conventional (less elegant) pung-based honours or winds yakuman.

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:54 am

yeah, I'm mentally screaming CALL THE WINDS, but meh, one beautiful tenpai. too bad that's where the beauty ends though, as a tenpai.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:04 pm

A shame. Could likely have gotten Kokushimusou with all those 1 and 9 that started coming at around turn 12.

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:29 pm

true, there was potential for Kokushi Tempai for the final 1 of dots, which did appear. Augh, the true problem with mahjong, you get set in your ways for one Yaku, and stop paying attention to look for other opportunities.

gartheee
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by gartheee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Tough the way it played out as he would actually have won Kokushi if he had gone for it. When he makes the fateful decision at turn 11, he's choosing between going for the remaining 2 each of red and white dragons and last East, or all the remaining 9 of dots 2 remaining 9 of bamboos and one last one of dots. Given the slightly larger pool of tiles for Kokushi I probably (armchair quarterback) would have gone for it instead. Though with only one 2 and 3 of dots visible on the board it's certainly easy to imagine that the last one is being used somewhere. But then, it's also likely that the last 2 red and white dragons are already used as a pair in someone's hand too.

It certainly is pretty and I've gotten close a few times but never won that hand. In fact, I've never won Tsuiisou at all come to think of it. Gives me something to shoot for at work tomorrow...

Rosti
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rosti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 pm

If he'd gone for Kokushi he wouldn't have gotten it. All those 1's and 9's would have been 5's or 6's, or all the remaining honour tiles, because that's how mahjong works :P
Cambridge University Riichi Mahjong Society - anyone living in or around Cambridge welcome to attend

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Barticle wrote:I think Seven Pairs + All Honours is the most beautiful hand you can make (two each of all seven Honours). :D
I'm recovering this from the sands of time, because I've found a youtube video of this beauty being completed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiC4ZFpvro

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Goldeneye » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 am

The Seven Pairs hand variant of the Tsuu Ii Sou is called Big Seven Stars in Japanese.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:30 am

Great video, thanks Ref! :D

Starting with only one pair... pushing against an opponent's riichi for nine turns... almost went to an exhaustive draw... tsumo win. Pretty epic.

Kinda funny though that it's basically a kokushi attempt that went "wrong". ;)