A decision to all of you.

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

A decision to all of you.

Post by ryulusus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 am

Hello to all, how are you today?

I have been reading a bit of the forums lately (yay for smartphones and non-FLASH site) to see that for some reason things have gotten a little bit strange and a lot of people just don't understand the difficulty it is nowadays from a time management perspective to cope with everything that goes on in our lives.

I have specially been touched by the post "Let's start again", where I saw that a hobby some people have and share with others may have only caused aggravation and sadness. I also saw that misundertanding and the way some people act do not sometimes qualify them as being proper adults.

Nevertheless, what I came to notice is that also to run this forum site,it depends a lot on the people who are in here, and making things happen. We cannot rely on the owners or admins to be here all the time. They do not make a living of it.

As such, I took a decision regarding the project I am doing in the "EVERYTHING ELSE" part, basically making a mahjong card game. I have decided to donate the concluded file to the site (as an entity, so to speak) and to the owners of it, who we all know. The only thing I ask is that, even if they use it to resell or something (not even sure is sellable quality or not), that my name is printed everywhere for people to see and that the original file is still here posted and available for download for everyone who wishes it.

I am sure I should be protecting it with a copyright and everything else, but I want this to be a trust and honor agreement between everyone on the site, and a focus for us to have fun and work and learn together, different people, different cultures, different view points. I will do it, and I hope it will bring some happiness again. Many people already participating, so I'm sure they will be pleased.

Jenn, Gemma, what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers to everyone.

Shirluban

Re: A decision to all of you.

Post by Shirluban » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello.

That's a very nice and friendly decision.
Thanks you for it and for all your interesting posts.

I would advice you to put a copyright notice in the file, in case someone brings it to another site and forgot to copy your "terms of use".
Or at least your name. (You have no idea how many images I have on my computer and I don't know who is the author :( )
It won't stop some people to ignore and remove it anyway. :evil:

------------
" a lot of people just don't understand the difficulty [...]"
"a hobby some people have and share with others may have only caused aggravation and sadness"
"misundertanding and the way some people act do not sometimes qualify them as being proper adults"
Welcome to the internet! :cry:

Some "misunderstanding" issues can be explained by the fact not everyone here is a native English speaker.
For now, I think we've been relatively spared by the language barrier.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ryulusus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Shirluban

Yeah, of course, I'll place that, I meant legally copyright it and everything. I think that people will be able to download and act upon it, why would they go out and try to pirate it? Everyone now knows who did it so... :)

I'll make some terms of usage yes. :) Let's hope Jenn and Gemma can have a look a this post to know :)

I'll continue on the other post then :)

Cheers
Luis

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Torgo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:44 pm

You may want to put a Creative Commons license on the document. See http://creativecommons.org/. It works with documents as well as code. As for format, I suggest you post the document in PDF format.

I don't know what size you're considering, but when I made my own cards, I printed on pre-perforated business card stock (which is likely different between the metric and imperial versions). It can be expensive to buy, but then the stock wouldn't have to be cut.

ryulusus
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ryulusus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Torgo

Thanks for the link, appreciate it, will use it as soon as I have the necessary data compiled.

The format will be in PDF, since the images will be compiled in easy-to-print format.

The Size will be Magic the Gathering (TM) card size, since it was meant for you to use the cards
in any type of available paper and then protect the cards with common sheets sold for that game
(and thus readily available).

This will trimm the costs a bit, and provide an easy way to replace card or sheet if it's damaged.
But please let us continue the talk on the relevant post (or Shirluban will move this ;) )

Cheers
Luis

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi Luis,

Thank you so much for posting on here. It made me so happy to read your post! Time management has never been my strong point. If only we could have an extra four hours each day, everything would be so much easier! ;)

Thank you so very much for offering to contribute your work for us to put on the site. It's very generous of you! Our RM.com friends are very wise in suggesting some sort of creative commons license on the work. I know that of course you are wanting people to use it for free but there are some people who may try to make money from your work, which would be horrid. That is why it's important to protect your copyright.

Were you thinking of just having it as a downloadable link? Maybe where our affiliates are at the moment? Send me an email gemma *at* reachmahjong.com and cc Jenn in as well so we can get something going.

Thank you again!

Gem