Yakuman Club

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Yakuman Club

Post by Referee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm thinking of a house rule where more than four kan are allowed, but the fifth and following don't turn a new dora indicator. The replacement tile would come from after the five dora stacks, still in the dead wall. Thoughts?

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 pm

here's the link to the vid on youtube Barticle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMFV83he ... re=related

If it doesn't work just search for the title which is "役満あがり"

I reckon if you were there, you'd deny it ahahaha... the friends that I'm playing with are not entirely familiar with Riichi rules (I've been the one studying them so I'm the one telling them what is and not allowed and how much their hands are worth when they game ...)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Referee wrote:I'm thinking of a house rule where more than four kan are allowed, but the fifth and following don't turn a new dora indicator. The replacement tile would come from after the five dora stacks, still in the dead wall. Thoughts?
I guess it's workable although I like the neatness of having four rinshanhai and four kan dora stacks in the dead wall, plus I (personally) wouldn't like the asymmetry of having extra dora for the first four kongs but then none thereafter.
azn86.jedi wrote:here's the link to the vid on youtube Barticle....
Cool, thanks Jedi. That's a lot of missed yakuman for one 10-minute clip!
I reckon if you were there, you'd deny it ahahaha... the friends that I'm playing with are not entirely familiar with Riichi rules (I've been the one studying them so I'm the one telling them what is and not allowed and how much their hands are worth when they game ...)
I hope you're not abusing your position of power...! "You got one each of the thirteen terminal and honour tiles? And then drew another to make a pair? That's kinda cool but it's quite worthless, sorry!" :lol:

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 pm

lol i can't abuse my position of power.... i always bring with me a guide i kinda made up with all the yaku and stuff in it...I know pretty much all the yaku anyway so the guide is for them... i mainly use it for the scoring when anyone of us wins. While they are not familiar with Riichi rules, they've played enough to have some idea.... plus they do play the Singaporean mahjong with me. So it's not like they're completely clueless about mahjong. XD

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:29 pm

So I've had a couple yakuman here and there without posting them in this thread, but I just thought I'd share this anecdote from Touhou Unreal Mahjong because of how it happened:

First, from the top. 3-player hanchan, online play, full table (no AI players filling in empty seats). In East Round 1, I was the dealer, and tsumo'ed a sanbaiman. So I thought I'd play defensively for the rest of the game.
Then on East Round 1, 1 honba, I found myself with :east :east green-dra green-dra early on in the hand, so I figured I might as well pon them and try to win the hand anyways. Unfortunately for me, nobody discarded them...

...Then I drew one of each. Suddenly, I was looking at a Suuankou tenpai:
8-bam 8-bam 8-bam 5-dot 5-dot 6-dot 6-dot :east :east :east green-dra green-dra green-dra
The 8-bam was a set of dora, too, so at this point, even if I won by ron, I'd have Riichi + Sanankou (2) + Toitoihou (2) + East (2) + Hatsu + Dora x3 = 11 han for another sanbaiman. (Touhou Unreal Mahjong's 3-player mode doesn't allow declaring North tiles as a set-aside dora, so no chance of getting those to add to my hand.) So I took a deep breath, hit Riichi, and hovered my mouse pointer over the "Agari" button.

The very next tile discarded was a red 5-dot by South (who hadn't riichi'ed - he had pon'ed a white-dra from me early on), which added Ippatsu plus a red dora for 13 han, kazoe yakuman. Totally not what I had expected. South busted and the game ended by buttobi after only two hands, with me in 1st place with over 100K points.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Made a double yakuman in 3player game @ tenhou.net, all honors + small winds, Might have been my first double yakuman ever.

burke
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by burke » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 pm

I made my first Yakuman on Friday. It was a Kokushi Musou and I was the Oya. I started with 9 different terminals and honors and an extra 1-pin. Three of the north winds were discarded very early and I had pretty much given up hope of getting the last one when I got lucky on a tsumo. Two of my opponents went broke paying for this so it ended the hanchan early. :)

mostek
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mostek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:20 pm

I've gotten a few Yakuman's playing against real people, the usual su anko's dai san gen and kokushi's, particularly kokushi, but definately the most memorable Yakuman I've gotten was a few weeks ago.

As oya, reach, ippatsu, tsumo, dora 10 (!) kazoeyakuman.

I was schocked too but the looks on the faces of the people I was playing with when I hit the ura dora was priceless. I actually felt kind of sorry..
御無礼、終了ですね
Goburei, Shuuryou desu ne

KoskiK
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by KoskiK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 pm

I've made 3 yakumans in the 6 months or so I've played Mahjong - Tsuu Iisou, Koku shimusou and just recently I made Suu Ankou on Mahjong Club ( in a freeroll turnament ).

It has one concealed kan that was declared, and I actually picked up another kan tile with the replacement draw but I pressed on the empty space on the screen and I discarded it instead of declaring it... That was nasty ! :P

jcr661
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by jcr661 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:43 pm

My first yakuman and it was as dealer to boot.
yakuman2.jpg
Yakuman pic
yakuman2.jpg (152.44 KiB) Viewed 12333 times

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Ah, good ol' Kokushi. A friend got me in touch with "The Table Game DS" which has all sorts of table games, one of them being Mahjong.
I've had 4 or 5 requests to abandon my hand due to 9 unique terminals, in 4 player?!? I've hardly EVER had that many options to do such, ever. something tells me my rng got stuck in a very peculiar state for a while. Anywho, took one of them and finally landed a Kokushi myself~.

'Twas sweet >D.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:15 pm

b4k4ni04 wrote:A friend got me in touch with "The Table Game DS" which has all sorts of table games, one of them being Mahjong.
I assume that's the one in the Simple series, as opposed to the Spirits titles? How are the MJ options and stats?
I've had 4 or 5 requests to abandon my hand due to 9 unique terminals, in 4 player?!? I've hardly EVER had that many options to do such, ever. something tells me my rng got stuck in a very peculiar state for a while. Anywho, took one of them and finally landed a Kokushi myself~.
Nice. Good to take advantage if the game's being generous. :)

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Ah, Yeah, it's the Simple games series.
Rank Mode. ... I have yet to really lose in. I've gotten PaRenChan against rank B or C opponents, and I completely smoked the competition for my 10 hanchan at rank A.

For being riichi mahjong, your opponents dont really call riichi, like, ever. Tiles are also hella tiny, so it's a bit painful to squint and keep track of what everyone's discarded.

Yeah my record is 1st: 23; 2nd: 6; 3rd: 1; 4th: 0 in Rank Games, 76% win percentage. I'm really not impressed, I'd almost call the idiot pc opponents at gamedesign more challenge.

Options: really limited, in free play you choose your opponents skill level, between east-only and east-south games, y/n to kuitan, how many red 5's you want per suit, and lastly 和了止め y/n. Ergh, I dont remember/ recognize what that last rule relates to.

In Rank mode, you play the whole hanchan, regardless of whether or not someone has busted out. I think all three of my opponents had the game I got PaRenChan. :/ portable via ds, but not really that great a game :o.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

b4k4ni04 wrote:I've gotten PaRenChan against rank B or C opponents,
Oh really? Good news - 'cos getting a yakuman keeps this discussion on-topic for this thread. ;)
Tiles are also hella tiny, so it's a bit painful to squint and keep track of what everyone's discarded.
That is always tough on the DS. I have the larger DSi XL (DSi LL in Japan) but the screen res is the same and it seems to apply smoothing which just makes tile markings fuzzy. You get used to recognising the deformed shapes of the characters though! Hopefully the new 3DS next year will be a lot better in this respect.
Yeah my record is 1st: 23; 2nd: 6; 3rd: 1; 4th: 0 in Rank Games, 76% win percentage.
That says a lot. It says that's the type of game I like to play! :lol:
和了止め y/n. Ergh, I dont remember/ recognize what that last rule relates to.
You'll probably recognise the last two characters from the verb yameru? That would be the Agari Yame rule - if the dealer wins a hand while leading on points in the final hand they have the option to end the match instead of playing the continuance. You either get the choice or it automatically ends.

Thanks for the info. 8)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:57 am

This one is from yesterday's grinding.

Riichi, ippatsu, tsumo, menhon, san an kou, toitoi, haku, sha...
Just kidding, suu an kou.