Yakuman Club

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Yakuman Club

Post by Barticle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 am

xKime wrote:Just kidding, suu an kou.
Nice, and much easier to score compared to counting all those yaku!

(Gotta get me a penguin...)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:02 am

Barticle wrote:
xKime wrote:Just kidding, suu an kou.
Nice, and much easier to score compared to counting all those yaku!

(Gotta get me a penguin...)
Certainly is. Still, I would have liked to score ura 3 just to know it was still kazoe yakuman by ron. Or just feel the same feeling as Kojima pro when he gets riichi, ippatsu, tsumo, suu an kou, ura 3. w

The penguin is merely to get my blood rushing through my head, open the seraphic gate and enter into the angel zone.

Just kidding, I started drawing ankou after ankou and just riichi'd because none of them was very defensive to begin with. Still, the betaori from the guy at the right made me worry a little ("they suddenly decided they now KNOW how to fold? FCK") but I smiled as soon as I saw that 9.

Now, this one is from today's grinding at tenhou's 特上:

...this isn't normal, I don't get yakuman every day actually. I just get them more often as of lately...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:14 pm

xKime wrote:Just kidding, I started drawing ankou after ankou and just riichi'd because none of them was very defensive to begin with. Still, the betaori from the guy at the right made me worry a little ("they suddenly decided they now KNOW how to fold? FCK") but I smiled as soon as I saw that 9.
"A 9 is normally pretty safe right so I'll just... ohh!" :shock:
...this isn't normal, I don't get yakuman every day actually. I just get them more often as of lately...
Sweet hand... counted yakuman and change.

Remind me not to play you until this (presumably taco-fuelled) yakuman streak has finished! :lol:

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:40 am

I wouldn't worry, a yakuman is a rare occurrence. I get a few together in a short time, and then I don't get anything for a few months.

Besides the other two from this week, there are some others I pulled off, for a change:

Kokushi 4p:

Kokushi 3p:

Another Suu An Kou:

And a Dai San Gen:

Of course, there are times when I can't finish the yakuman I try, and I save screenshots of such chances gone amiss.
Tenhou fail:
ImageImage

All Green fail:
ImageImageImage

Kokushi fail:

Chuurenpoutou fail:

Suu An Kou fail:
ImageImage

Suu Shii Hou fail:
Omake:

Haitei + Triple Yakuman

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:43 pm

xKime wrote:Tenhou fail
Every time I make double riichi I think how close I was to tenhou/chiihou. If it's a one-sided wait there's a 1/34 chance I would've had the winning tile...
Omake:
Haitei + Triple Yakuman
Wow... is that legit or do you get special abilities in that game?

I can do near-misses too - got these two just this afternoon!
miss1.jpg
miss1.jpg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 11426 times
miss2.jpg
miss2.jpg (26.53 KiB) Viewed 11426 times
With that second one I made the wind sets really early but then just didn't get hooked up... After the fourth haku appeared I dropped mine, drew another 5 and won on hatsu with an extreme case of honitsu (plus toi-toi and triple yakuhai). Followed up with a nice dealer mangan on the next hand too, but would rather have made my first ever tsuuiisou...

Also had "ten orphans" at one point today :lol: and got iishanten on All Green a couple of days ago. I am so overdue for a yakuman - not had one for ages. :(

Just had a cool exchange with another player online btw. He went out with junchan after I'd already reached. In the very next hand I saw potential in my tiles and I had a comfortable lead so I pushed... he reached and then I completed junchan - stacked with san shoku. :D Anything you can do I can do better!

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 am

I'm pretty sure in one of Garthe's posts there is a mention on how often you see double riichi and how rarely you ever see tenhou/chiihou. Still, I always get double riichi as dealer, generally. That's why it's a frustrated tenhou.

The other day I got to tenpai on my first draw as no dealer, but far from declaring double riichi (it would have been double riichi only with a center wait on 4p), I turned it into riichi pinfu dora-dora for 7700 instead of the double riichi's 2600. Some dumb luck as well, sure.
Wow... is that legit or do you get special abilities in that game?
I used tsumikomi, surikae and "last chance."
Still, I had to try it many times before actually getting it. Most of the time I was going out with menhon and so.

Tsuu ii sou is a beautiful yakuman. And it's a desperating situation when you know you have to give up on it.
I was in tsuu ii sou tenpai once, RL, but I didn't complete it. My friend had declared riichi and passed on his winning tile just to see if it was tsuu ii sou. w
I am so overdue for a yakuman - not had one for ages.
Yakuman is not so hard... I haven't had a sanbaiman in forever.
In the very next hand I saw potential in my tiles and I had a comfortable lead so I pushed... he reached and then I completed junchan - stacked with san shoku
I would love to see riichi ippatsu tsumo pinfu junchan sanshoku iipeikou, dora 3. In real life. A truly beautiful kazoe yakuman.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:43 am

Woot! :D I just made Shodan rank on Janline-R. Doesn't sound so impressive but you start at 20th Kyuu plus I've had some recurring network connection issues (getting penalised with 4th each time it drops).
xKime wrote:I'm pretty sure in one of Garthe's posts there is a mention on how often you see double riichi and how rarely you ever see tenhou/chiihou.
Hmmz... I've seen stats with usage rates of 0.192% for double riichi and around 0.002% combined for ten/chiihou, although that must be based on a small count of the latter so maybe not statistically significant.
The other day I got to tenpai on my first draw as no dealer, but far from declaring double riichi (it would have been double riichi only with a center wait on 4p), I turned it into riichi pinfu dora-dora for 7700 instead of the double riichi's 2600. Some dumb luck as well, sure.
I guess the usual "rules" of riichi apply - you might wanna hold back if you can improve your wait/hand. Double riichi is cool though. 8) Good psychological impact on opponents too. ;)
Tsuu ii sou is a beautiful yakuman.
As I've said here before, especially as seven pairs.
I was in tsuu ii sou tenpai once, RL, but I didn't complete it. My friend had declared riichi and passed on his winning tile just to see if it was tsuu ii sou. w
Heh! That's a true friend. :)
Yakuman is not so hard... I haven't had a sanbaiman in forever.
True, although you just got 15 han counted which is like super-sanbaiman++!

I've only got sanbaiman three times I think, plus my insane 11-dora counted yakuman.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:31 am

Congrats.

I also think it must be very frustrating getting renhou and realizing... "we don't use renhou here." Would you count it as a yakuman or not...

I mean, I have gotten tenhou/renhou with tsubame gaeshi, but... still.

I didn't want to improve it, really, I just didn't notice it was tenpai until I discarded, and thought "oh, well."
Still, I get double riichi pretty often, I think. This one's from today on my sub-account:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But I have never even witnessed a true tenhou/chiihou. And I have played hundreds of thousands of hands.

I failed another suu an today.

Dealer ponned the dora, and then hit me with tan yao dora 3. It happens.

Nonetheless, considering the yakuman count above, I think I have gotten enough yakuman for this week.
I love baiman better, though.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:25 am

xKime wrote:I would love to see riichi ippatsu tsumo pinfu junchan sanshoku iipeikou, dora 3. In real life. A truly beautiful kazoe yakuman.
Lovely. Do it with 30 honba, too.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Referee wrote:
xKime wrote:I would love to see riichi ippatsu tsumo pinfu junchan sanshoku iipeikou, dora 3. In real life. A truly beautiful kazoe yakuman.
Lovely. Do it with 30 honba, too.
I would love it on my eighth renchan, though.
I don't think there' a thing to describe such a miss as:

Not only that, I missed my chance at suu an kou tanki today.

My yakuman power is disappearing, maybe...

Fat*Dragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Fat*Dragon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:28 pm

What are you talking about disappearing yakuman power? If I see your collection of images I feel like I never had any :-)
Stop talking now or you make the rest of us cry...
:-)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Fat*Dragon wrote:
What are you talking about disappearing yakuman power? If I see your collection of images I feel like I never had any :-)
Stop talking now or you make the rest of us cry...
:-)
Nah, I'm serious here. Rather than scoring yakuman, I'm just failing them now.
Another failed chiihou: Image

And a failed daisangen: Image

But I promise the next one I post will be another completed one. I haven't scored one in a week now. D:

And no need to cry, I just play... a lot. And not that well, either. I can't reach R2000 for the life of me. But, I'm bound to get some from time to time.

Fat*Dragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Fat*Dragon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:19 pm

I can't reach R2000
I'm not even close to thinking about that number... My adventures took me way down in the negative. But now I made a deal whith gods of mahjong, no yakumans anymore instead R1800 promised. I have to pay in blood...

Fat*Dragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Fat*Dragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:30 pm

The gods of mahjong finally decided to give me "Dai san gen". That's the fist time I got this yakuman.

It was a very close call. Because at the time I got into tenpai with this hand

7-crak 8-crak 9-crak 1-bam 1-bam white-dra white-dra open red-dra red-dra red-dra green-dra green-dra green-dra

I was dealer and I was playing against a riichi since the 6th round. I finsished the hand in round 13th by ron from the player who reached. My opponent had a centre wait on p8. He paid 48.000 points. So the hand was over within the first hand of the first east round.

Studying the replay I could see that he had nothing beside riichi and one red dora. I was lucky not to play in his centre wait but on the other hand side, is it really worth playing against the dealer with nothing else than a 2 han hand? I mean there could be menzen tsumo, ippatsu, ura dora = mangan. But this is a little bit too much fantasy. I know, sometimes miracles become true but not always. If this guy had waited, he could easily have built a valid pinfu hand, because he had two no value winds and everything else in runs except his centre wait. Don't get me wrong, a fast richii sometimes is a good thing but not always! :-)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 am

Hey, that's great.
is it really worth playing against the dealer with nothing else than a 2 han hand? I mean there could be menzen tsumo, ippatsu, ura dora = mangan. But this is a little bit too much fantasy...
Well, you did go against a riichi, pushed and won the hand. Examining the decission based on the result is not the way to go. If he reached on the sixth turn with a 79, that's not so bad; the wait isn't likely to get better, and it's early.

Now, if you already had the haku and hatsu pon, and he reached without taking much consideration with such a central wait, then yeah, he's a jerkoff. Seeing that it was East 1 and all.

--

Anyways, on topic, yesterday, my friends and I were playing Maajan Kakutou Kurabu (Mahjong Fight Club) DS on wireless mode with a modified set of A Rules (that's, no ippatsu, no red dora, no ura dora, dealer can ony continue if he wins with no exceptions, and a few other mods), and I was third with a 22k point difference from 2nd and 1st place. 4th was practically dead (he overfed the other two), so we got to All Last and the dealer was on first place. We were playing without agari-yame, so as long as he keeps winning, the game doesn't end. He had to make up for a point difference in the last hanchan, so he won and we entered the first renchan. I was down on the lows, so I decided to go for kokushi from 7 different types. It was getting pretty late and my hand had this shape in late game:

1-bam 3-bam 9-bam 9-bam 9-bam :east :south :south :west :west :north :north green-dra red-dra

(I discarded 3-bam btw)

There was a discarded :west a discarded :north a discarded :south and 2 :east discarded. I ponned :west and discarded green-dra , followed by ponning :north and discarding red-dra .Then, when I ponned the last :south , I got to tenpai with this hand:

9-bam 9-bam 9-bam :east (open:) :south :south :south :north :north :north :west :west :west

There were 5 tiles left on the draw and everyone was getting suspicious. I felt a little bit down, but I was to draw the last tile. And the haitei, the last draw of the last round, there it was, my last :east ! That completed my Suu Shii Hou and earned me first place and a nice point difference for the rest of the games.

It felt so good, because it felt like fate. I got my self-draw on the very last tile of the very last round. And the very next hanchan, I was 1 away from the very same yakuman again, except some jerkoff won with 2600p. I just needed to draw one of the 3 remaining :west to make a tanki (pair) wait (I was temporarily waiting on the 4-bam ). I had two open pon of two winds, and a concealed one of the third set. This is becoming my new favorite yakuman.
Last edited by xKime on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.