Jan Ryu Mon

http://janryumon.plaync.jp/

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re:Jan Ryu Mon

Post by Ignatius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:11 am

I use the proxy program Hotspot Shield(this program is free and put ads in your internet browser). No need configuration, But you must use first the packetix to create an account (don´t know why). Still I´m happy with the Hotspot.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:44 am

Ruro wrote:The thing that i couldn\'t figure out its that there is a rating below your name which ranks you for attack , defense and something else. I figured out that the red means attack and the blue apparently meaning prevent(defense thing) but i couldn\'t figure out the green bar (it\'s just too calligraphic ...)
I forgot which is which, but the three are, in some order:
1. Attack (high win rate) - The more often you win hands, the higher this stat.
2. Attack (high hand value) - The higher the average value of your winning hands, the higher this stat.
3. Defense - The less often you let someone else ron from your discards, the higher this stat.

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 am

Am I the only one who has come to hate Janryumon? It seems like the play on there is so completely random that winning comes down to a matter of pure luck.... At least on Tenhou I feel like my play actually has an effect on the game...

Maybe I just suck at Janryumon or there is some secret strategy that i\'m missing. I love the visuals and the client, but the player base is horrible >.<

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Well there are days when i hate janryumon and/or tenhou because of the randomness. Last time i got beaten on tehnhou and got last place at the table while i didn\'t play into anyones hand...also the player who was 3rd didn\'t won a single round. I got to 4th place just because i was the dealer at the wrong time at the wrong place.
Also there is the complete reverse of this situation. Yesterday i just got a toi toi dora 8 rinshan tsumo...whit that i became 1st from 4th :D So the thing that is bad are just the tile shuffling random number generators (at least i feel that way)

Greedence
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Greedence » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Lets face it:
Online Mahjong or Mahjong on a computer, to be exact, is like masturbating. You don´t enjoy it but sometimes you have to do it.

And as long we are not taking a whole chanso hostage, there is no other way to raise our skills. In fact in half a year I learned at the chansons more than in 3 years of online mahjong.

Thats the tragedy of our (beloved) hobby

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 am

Greedence wrote:Lets face it:
Online Mahjong or Mahjong on a computer, to be exact, is like masturbating. You don´t enjoy it but sometimes you have to do it.

Thats the tragedy of our (beloved) hobby
First of all.... epic win!!!

Second of all, I agree totally. Nothing can compete with live play unfortunately. You boost your skill up so fast just playing with other people and being able to ask questions / discuss hands on the spot.

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 am

Johnstonjamese wrote:Am I the only one who has come to hate Janryumon? It seems like the play on there is so completely random that winning comes down to a matter of pure luck.... At least on Tenhou I feel like my play actually has an effect on the game...

Maybe I just suck at Janryumon or there is some secret strategy that i\'m missing. I love the visuals and the client, but the player base is horrible >.<
I started encountering this sometime around last August. Then I noticed that I was up against two other players at the same table with the exact same avatars, one of whom would call the other\'s tiles suspiciously often.

Around the same time, I had also noticed that on other occasions, there would often be one player at the table who would have suspiciously good luck. By which I mean they would pull ridiculous stuff like riichi on a tanki wait and immediately tsumo on the next turn for ippatsu.

Shortly after that, I quit.

The most likely explanation for all this is that Jan Ryu Mon is full of cheaters and/or colluders (i.e. one person playing on two computers, or two people conspiring to help each other). The latter could be explained by someone having figured out how to see the tiles in the wall in advance (they\'re pre-generated and stored server-side in an array, and I recall reading that Tenhou used to have a similar security hole), though it could be just freaky luck that happened to occur in my games 16 rounds in a row.

The second most likely explanation for this is that a mad scientist attempted to clone Amae Koromo, and the experiment went terribly askew. I think I\'ll stick with the first explanation.

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:41 am

I never thought about that, but yea, that would explain a lot if people were team playing / using exploits. I have run into people with the same avatars before but never paid it much attention. It did catch my suspicion a few times though when I see people that have close to 50% win percentages with hundreds of games logged. Not even the top players in the world win 50% of the time...

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:09 am

It\'s so common to call CHEATER in online games, i mean come\'on when someone shot you in an FPS like 20 times its not 100% that he is a cheater. And in games like mahjong where luck is heavily influencing the gameplay there is no real telling that who is cheating and who is not.
But then again, its a plaync game and ncsoft games have hackers in them (and botters and cheaters) but thats the problem with online gaming.
Also it could really be luck, i got a haitei mangan one day and the following day a rinshan and the haitei was on tenhou so its just damn blind luck... or something more you can never tell, but there are cheaters in real life too and they do the same just beneath your very nose.

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:56 am

There actually are statistical tests for these kinds of things. The usual standard is to calculate a p-value, which (to simplify it down greatly) represents the odds of a sequence of events occurring that are at least as unusual as what you observed.

Typically, a p-value of less than 0.05 (i.e. 5% chance of something at least as unusual) is the threshold for significant evidence that something\'s not right. (Note that there\'s no scientific basis for the number being 0.05; it\'s just a de facto standard.)

It\'s been a while, but I do still remember that after the suspected cheating epidemic started, I took data on my opponents\' win rates across 16 tonpuusen. There\'s some margin of error due to small sample size, lack of normality of the distribution, and, lack of independence of data points, but the p-value I ended up with was p=0.01046. This is with data averaged across the three opponents I played in each tonpuusen, even though on every round there was at least one player whom I\'m fairly sure was honest.

So I can say with a fair degree of confidence that at least one person (and probably multiple people) I played against in those 16 tonpuusen was either cheating or colluding. The collusion I\'m a bit more sure of; the cheating may have been just dumb luck.

Light
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Light » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:56 pm

So today I finally got to play janryumon again after some months of it not working. I was happy and all, until someone in each game would always riichi ippatsu tsumo, like taking turns doing it. Except me of course.

I played with this same guy for 3 half games straight, he would always riichi on the 1st or 2nd hand and immediately get that tsumo and then chill for the rest of the game since he\'s already 12-18k ahead, it\'s amazing. I don\'t remember luck striking 3 times, the others would all go for open tanyaos every hand leaving me in 3rd or 4th place. I played over 500 games with 32% being 1st 27% being 2nd, and I got 4th 5/7 games today dropped 2 ranks then ragequit. I really hope this is all luck, but it leads me to think otherwise. I noticed all these players with over 35% being 1st and less than 16% being 4th is really suspicious.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:22 am

Chill man, they can be cheaters all right but what do they win? Some virtual points they can spend on virtual items? :D Also i noticed that these strange ppl are mostly common at around 1 o\'clock (when there are like 500 ppl playing) and they just vanish when there are more players online. Also if someone just happens to be a \"lucker\" like the guy you met just make sure to hit cancel when you get shuffled with him again. I do that when it happens :) And you know there is alway tenhou (by the way im considering paying a month for tenhou, because im curious about their tournaments and such, can someone tell me about how good are these monthly tournaments ?)

Kira
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Kira » Sat May 01, 2010 1:25 am

Hey everyone, I\'m not lurking anymore ^^

I would love to play with ReachMahjong players on JanRyuMon if anyone is up for it. My username is kirakero, and generally I can drag my friend into playing too when she is over.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Re:Jan Ryu Mon

Post by xKime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Kira wrote:Hey everyone, I\'m not lurking anymore ^^

I would love to play with ReachMahjong players on JanRyuMon if anyone is up for it. My username is kirakero, and generally I can drag my friend into playing too when she is over.
I play on there under the name きめっち

You can find me on the 熟練 tables playing nashi nashi tonpuusen most of the time. But if you don't, just add me as a friend and send me a message.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by xKime on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meeps
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Jan Ryu Mon

Post by Meeps » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:59 am

I've been playing on Jan over the week. I'm really starting to like the client.

To bad my jap knowledge is slim, but at least I can get into the games~