WWYD for Aug 3, 2011

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

kylone
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

WWYD for Aug 3, 2011

Post by kylone » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 am

This is my first time trying this out. Here goes nothing!

2-dot

The 3-dot 4-dot 4-dot 4-dot 5-dot gives one set and a pair, with two away from tempai, with 4 different sets needing one more tile to complete them.

That being said, I'm kinda nervous about the lack of dot tiles in the pond...
If I wanted to hang on to the 2-dot for defense, I'd get rid of the 3-bam and later the 4-bam, as more than half of the 2-bam and 5-bam tiles are in the pond already...

WaveMaster
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: WWYD for Aug 3, 2011

Post by WaveMaster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

9-bam

It's too late in the game for me to be at all comfortable at discarding dots. At this point, I would cut the tile I feel safest discarding, and that's the 9 bam. The dealer across the table hasn't changed his hand since the last time 9 bam was cut, and it's safe against the player to your right.

This hand is going to have a rough time completing anyway, and since you have 5 potential sets, even if you still want to aim for a win, you're going to have to get rid of one eventually. The (7-9) in characters is least likely to complete, but I feel less safe discarding it. If one of the other players discards a 2 or 5 dot, then you can get rid of one side of the (2345) and still be two away from tenpai, which isn't that impressive anyway.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: WWYD for Aug 3, 2011

Post by zzo38 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:58 am

Get rid of the tile just picked up, unless you think someone else needs it (although also note nobody call riichi yet). You can make dora 4 and are already about to make 789 of each suit, and the end pair can be 4pin. However it might be late and you might not have time to win (also especially since three of the 2sou and two of the 5sou are in the pond), in which case you defend; you can discard 9sou which North cannot win with and which East most likely does not need, or you can discard 4sou which East cannot use and which it seems the other two players might not use but I am still unsure. You should at first guess what kind of hand the other player try to make, which can be based on their discards and possibly on style of play if that would help.