First Live Game

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Moah
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

First Live Game

Post by Moah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi,

I played my first game of live Riichi today, and let met tell you it's a lot harder when the dora don't shine, and there's no help bubble telling you what wait you'll have on each discard.

I won exactly ONE hand (out of maybe 15), where i'd made a huge mistake, cutting the 4-dot I was waiting on to riichi instead of the 1-dot.
So instead of tanyao, riichi, ippatsu, menzen tsumo, I got... menzen tsumo.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun!

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: First Live Game

Post by Kyuu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 am

Another thing I can tell you about the Live Game vs Online. You become more self-conscious about getting Ron'd. Why? It can be very embarrassing, especially when the person's waits become more and more obvious. With this in mind, defense strategy gets more attention.

Moah
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Moah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:07 am

Building the wall is rather complicated too. I had it fall a couple of time, and I wasn't even trying to use the build your rows, then put the second one on the first trick.
Then again, I'm a klutz (I managed to pick a brick from the dead wall, and forgot a couple of times to draw for my hand, resulting in one hand in chombo).

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:07 am

Yea. Thanks to Tenhou... or other PC/online means of playing...

The wall building... and even... execution of making (chii, pon, kan) calls... can make one clumsy. Simply because -- the computer manages that kind of stuff for us. Ah... I remember the day when I first sat down at the table.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm

If possible with what you have, you may be able to mix the tiles in a bag similar to how they do it in Washizu mahjong (regardless of whether or not you are using any transparent tiles)