About Kandora

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

About Kandora

Post by Ignatius » Fri May 11, 2012 1:34 am

I've read somewhere that there are two ways to flip new kandora indicator. Before discarding the supplement tile or doing it after discarding the tile, which modifies the way you can flip the kandora indicator depending on if it's a concealed kan or exposed. This changes the way you can obtain new kandora with some yaku. So I'm wondering which is the most common way... Could you help me to find an answer?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: About Kandora

Post by Kyuu » Fri May 11, 2012 5:58 am

Aside from calling Kans - I cannot imagine any other way to access Kan-dora; hence the name. :shock:

:idea: :idea:

Oh. As in, when the kan-dora gets flipped. I have a feeling: with live-tiles, we do it the wrong way as we simply flip the kan-dora immediately after a kan regardless. However, if I recall in Tenhou, the kan-dora gets flipped after your discard (after kan draw). If it's a closed kan, then the kan-dora is flipped immediately.

Now, I hope I don't have this backwards. :mrgreen:

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Fri May 11, 2012 10:23 am

This completely depends on the rules. In EMA rules, the kan dora is immediately flipped in all cases. In Tenhou, the dora is immediately flipped for closed kans and after discard for open kans. Our club apparently opens it after discard for called kans (daiminkan), and immediately otherwise.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun May 13, 2012 2:15 am

Thanks for those answers. They helped me a lot. Now I understand it. Thanks!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Goldeneye » Sun May 13, 2012 7:46 pm

In JRM and the SEGA MJx series - I believe its the following sequence...

#1. Wait for Ron call (doesn't apply if Chanankan [Kokushi/Yakuman] is Nashi and it's an Ankan call)
#2. Draw Supplement tile
#3. Kan Dora indicator is flipped up
#4. Declare win or discard

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 am

Never played those games. But thanks for the info, As the other´s info helped me to undertand the riichi mahjong rules better.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue May 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah, the thing with Riichi rules (and pretty much any other variation of Mahjong, really) is that there are so many little "switches" you can tweak. Kan dora timing is just one of them.