WWYD (Riichi Y/N?)

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

RegalStar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

WWYD (Riichi Y/N?)

Post by RegalStar » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 am

Left hand player disconnected, thus will be blown away at the end.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: WWYD (Riichi Y/N?)

Post by Kyuu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 am

Recommend not showing opponent hands.

However, pretending not being able to see them. Riichi on an Ittsu with Akai Dora (4-han minimum with riichi off of a 6-sou). South 4-4, down over 25,000 points from the lead. A direct Haneman (with honba) will do the trick. That's asking a lot hoping for an uradora with the 4-pin, or direct ippatsu + 1 uradora.

Seeing as there is no 6-sou dropped yet. Wait and see for now.

RegalStar
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by RegalStar » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 pm

My original logic with this hand is that if I riichi and 1st/4th discards 3s, I'd not even have enough to get 2nd place (5100, tiebreaker goes to lower ranked player IIRC). if I don't riichi, I can let pass any 3s, and still get 2nd place by ronning 6s off anyone/ron 3s off 2nd place/tsumo anything. (1st place is really rather impossible with that much difference). (Right after dealer declared Riichi, so I followed with my own Riichi since his riichi stick gave me the missing edge I needed.)

What I'm wondering now, though, is that if the point difference between me and 2nd place were to be expanded by 600 so tsumo 3s is no longer enough to get me 2nd place without riichi. What should I do then? Riichi and hope for direct hit/6s/tsmo (and possibly get stuck in furiten as I'm forced to pass any 3s played by 1st and 4th place), for damaten and hope for 6s period?

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 am

RegalStar wrote:My original logic with this hand is that if I riichi and 1st/4th discards 3s, I'd not even have enough to get 2nd place (5100, tiebreaker goes to lower ranked player IIRC).
Tiebreaker goes for the earlier dealer, so we have the advantage here.