Newbie introduction

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Newbie introduction

Post by wavemotion » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome aboard, Brian! Great to see the younger generation enjoying our fine game.

There is some English documentation on learning to play on Tenhou which you can find here. It's a little bit dated so isn't 100% perfect but is enough to get you signed up (it's free) and running. I go by DaveB on tenhou and hopefully we'll match up someday!

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Scott Miller » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a certafiable mahjong junkie, and contagious too. I've gotten lots of my friends and family into it. My son and I are currently building a mahjong table table together as a father/son project. Outside of mahjong I used to surf and sail before I moved to landlocked Texas :? I also like vintage video games.

Interests: Mahjong of course :)
Play MJ since (year): 2005
Rules used: favorite is Riichi
Languages (spoken / written): English, Portuguese, Spanish
Alignment: Fill Justify (hah! Or lawful good)
Cup size: 8 fl oz

Anybody passing through Texas, give me a shout... Always interested in a pickup game.
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:24 pm

A fellow vintage video gamer?! Cool! Welcome aboard, Scott!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 pm

A guy from Texas.. Will he be as good as Papa Bush? (from The Legend of Koizumi manga)
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Chicago here... but I ask. Where in Texas? Not a small state down there, y'know. :wink: I happen to know of some riichi players around the Austin area (if I remember correctly).

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Scott Miller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 am

I'm in the panhandle... but a road trip to Austin is not out of the question :D
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

shinkiii
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by shinkiii » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi there, been playhing mahjong for a while but finally decided to register on the forums. A friend of mine showed me how to play in college; though there were very few opportunities to actually play mahjong with them in real life, I enjoyed it a lot and started playing on Tenhou. I'd travel to events if I knew of any in the bay area, but it's hard to hear about them and it's a little too far away to just go for a day of pick-up games... :(

Interests: Anime, Video Games, Mahjong (duh!)
Username on popular online MJ games:godoka on Tenhou
Play MJ since (year):Spring 2012
Rules used:Play both ari and nashi. Would love to find somebody willing to play a sakizuke game just to see what it's like...
Championships: U.S. -_-
Languages (spoken / written): just english~
Favorite colour:Blue
Alignment:Lawful Neutral

Ryuusei1984
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Ryuusei1984 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 am

Hello Reach Mahjong Forum!

Location:Crestview, FL. North of Destin in the Florida Panhandle
Interests: Mahjong, Magic the Gathering, WoW (online and card game), LARP
Play MJ since (year): December 2011
Rules used:EMA
Languages (spoken / written):English. I want to learn Japanese and Tagalog.
Real name: Panda (not really but that's what I get called at my local card shop)
Quest:Honestly...to promote Mahjong in my area and have it spread around the country. Jokingly...*inserts Pokemon theme.
Favorite colour:Green

Other cool things and tidbits:

If I am not playing Mahjong with my friends, I usually play it on Janryumon Mobile. I'm starting to get into Tenhou.

I run Mahjong meet-ups at my local card shop GameMaster's Guild. It's always fun playing mahjong in the middle of a dungeon room...lol

I also sponsor a club at the college that discusses Asian culture. After bring mahjong to one of the meetings, the students have started a sub-committee to regular play at the college.

I also post on USPML forums...tho I haven't recently...:(

I think that's all I got for now. Feel free to message me!

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Awesome seeing the newbies continue to introduce themselves. Maybe we have enough critical mass to try and make a go of an unofficial Reach Mahjong Forums Tenhou game-day (if it were timed correctly... say a given Saturday at Noontime EST which is 9AM west coast and early evening for the Euro folks). I know that's not the official Reach Mahjong play site but it is something we all have reasonable access to. We could either use the official English lobby (which is usually deserted) or take our very own Reach Mahjong Forum lobby for a few hours: say L4242 (just because it's cool).

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:17 pm

There's L7447.

http://mahjong-league.com/

I happen to be playing there for most of my online games lately. Looking at the numbers, we've been averaging at about 40 games a day. Although, I will have to go back to L0000 a bit more.

Yulyung
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Yulyung » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:19 am

Hi guys, here comes a new one

Interests:games
Affiliations (club, mahjong-related online forum, league, ...):Vent d'Est
Username on popular online MJ games: Yulyung on mahjongtime
Play MJ since (year): 2-3 years maybe
Rules used: MCR, HK, riichi (beginner)
Championships: don't remember
Languages (spoken / written): french, english
Quest:become a legendary gambler
Favorite colour:blue
Alignment:chaotic neutral
Cup size: what ? :)

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Welcome aboard Yulyung!

kostra
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by kostra » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:09 am

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd shoot out an introduction. Just found this site recently, loving all the information!

I'm an American currently living in the Philippines, though I previously lived in Japan and Hong Kong, mahjong capitals!! I started playing Riichi mahjong in 2007 in Japan, with the help of Wikipedia and the Four Winds Mahjong PC game (I didn't know about sites like this!!). After about a month or practicing at home, I finally got up the nerve and started going to my local gemu-sentaa (arcade!)every day on my lunch break and got fully addicted to Sega Pro Mahjong 3 (a networked arcade game in Japan where I played real people from arcades all over Japan). People all over the arcade always found it amusing to see me, an incredibly tall, Caucasian American in a conservative Japanese-style business suit, eating a sandwich at the mahjong game and exclaiming whenever I got to hit the huge "Agari" button :-D I got pretty high up in the levels, maybe up to 7 or 8-dan.

Once I left Japan and moved to HK, I tried playing HK-style mahjong but didn't like it as much as Riichi. I've been starved for people to play with, and almost gave up, until a few months ago I found Janryumon for iPad, and now I've been playing it all the time. I love it! The design and features actually remind me a lot of Sega Pro Mahjong, and I'm loving it.

I look forward to talking with people with the shared interest of Riichi Mahjong!

~Kostra

Interests: Traveling, Riichi :-), karaoke, Asian food
Username on popular online MJ games: Kostra
Play MJ since (year): 2007
Rules used: Riichi, HK
Languages (spoken / written): English/German (fluent), Japanese (JLPT 3), Tagalog (intermediate)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 am

Welcome!

Have you tried Filipino mahjong?
Sloperama wrote:FILIPINO STYLE

Uses 144 tiles (possibly more) -- certain tiles in the set may be designated as Jokers per a rule which is not known at the time of this writing.
Flowers are melded instantly when received; Winds and Dragons are treated the same as Flowers.
Hold 16 tiles in the hand, go out on 17 tiles.
Several special hands (tile combinations) -- Kongs get paid at the instant they are melded.
Score by counting doubles, then convert to points.
Only the winner is paid (?) -- thrower pays double.
Books: No books, but see http://mahjongarchives.tripod.com/post/1998/9809-03.htm. Also see http://gingsbrain.blogspot.com/2010/10/ ... hjong.html (thanks to Joseph Smith for the link).
Note: author Dragon Chang says that a style similar to Filipino is also played in Fuzhou (Fukien) in China.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:37 pm

kostra wrote:Once I left Japan and moved to HK, I tried playing HK-style mahjong but didn't like it as much as Riichi. I've been starved for people to play with, and almost gave up, until a few months ago I found Janryumon for iPad, and now I've been playing it all the time. I love it! The design and features actually remind me a lot of Sega Pro Mahjong, and I'm loving it.
Yeah, Janryumon for iPad is fantastic - though I'll admit I don't quite understand the recent conversion to GREE (the message about converting my mobile user account to GREE was cryptic at best).

In any event, glad to have you aboard, Kostra!