WWYD 2013-03-05

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Shirluban

WWYD 2013-03-05

Post by Shirluban » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

sasuraiger
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-03-05

Post by sasuraiger » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 am

7p. There's the distant possibility of this eventually becoming a flush. However, It would be premature to just throw out what I have in the other suits just to chase the flush. A pair isn't really important to me at this early stage, and the East might help later if more man tiles come in and the flush starts to look more reasonable. Maybe if there was one more pair I'd start considering chiitoi. In order to keep the possibility open for now (and on the extreme long-shot end, maybe sanshoku), I choose 7p.

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Having just posted a beginners strategy translation from the JPML site, I'm going to say 9-crak or 8-crak

:east is a value honor so we should keep that. The next candidate for removal (according to the article) is the end wait set.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 pm

:east

Pinfu Ittsuu Dora 1 is the goal here. The ton isn't helping that.

Breaking any taatsu from ryanshanten is generally a bad idea, especially if the taatsu happens to grant both dora and ittsuu. Throwing away the 7pin pair in favor of the ton is weak too, because even if you pair up the yakuhai, the options are using it as a pinfu-killing pair, or ponning it and killing the ittsuu with a manzu pair - wasting time for no gain. If you really wanted to keep the ton for whatever reason, 8-sou would be the best discard. As for the 24m that look unnecessary for ittsuu: they are far better for switching to chinitsu if the possibility arises, and if 3m is drawn, they'll leave 36m wait usable.

I typically discard single yakuhai before even loose terminals. In this case, there's a lot extra reasons as well.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 am

Iapetus wrote::east

Pinfu Ittsuu Dora 1 is the goal here. The ton isn't helping that.

Breaking any taatsu from ryanshanten is generally a bad idea, especially if the taatsu happens to grant both dora and ittsuu. Throwing away the 7pin pair in favor of the ton is weak too, because even if you pair up the yakuhai, the options are using it as a pinfu-killing pair, or ponning it and killing the ittsuu with a manzu pair - wasting time for no gain. If you really wanted to keep the ton for whatever reason, 8-sou would be the best discard. As for the 24m that look unnecessary for ittsuu: they are far better for switching to chinitsu if the possibility arises, and if 3m is drawn, they'll leave 36m wait usable.

I typically discard single yakuhai before even loose terminals. In this case, there's a lot extra reasons as well.
This. Breaking taatsu from ryanshanten is slow. There is however merit in discarding 2m (nido uke) and playing 12-tile-mahjong if this were tenhou. But it isn't.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm

:east

Out of place. Out of business. 8)