Mahjong Uranai Fortuna - Tsuki no Megami Tachi

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Mahjong Uranai Fortuna - Tsuki no Megami Tachi

Post by XFRod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 am

Mahjong Uranai Fortuna - Tsuki no Megami Tachi is now on the US PlayStation Network. It's a straight up import so, it's all in Japanese. You can grab it on your PS3 or PS Vita in the PSN Store for $5.99 USD.

No word on a EU release. Not even sure if Barticle will have access to it so, I've started a game guide for it and, will be posting things to a Facebook page I set up for it, as I go. Since my translation skills are less than fluent, I'll be chugging away at it, as I can get to it.

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mahjong-U ... 1405290631
GungHo's Release Info: http://www.gunghoonline.com/2013/03/gun ... n-network/

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Mahjong Uranai Fortuna - Tsuki no Megami Tachi

Post by Barticle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow, this is quite surprising - six games in Japanese on the US PSN including one in a niche genre like riichi mahjong!

I do have a US PSN account so I'll probably sort out some credit and pick this up soon (I'm currently writing-up the new Sleeping Dogs DLC). Thanks for the heads-up. I probably won't do a guide for it though so please continue your good work.

Are there any rule options in the normal mode and what's the mahjong / fortune-telling mode like...?

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 pm

I hope this will be on Europe PSN...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 pm

It's pretty easy (on the PS3 at least) to create a new user profile and register it for a US PSN account.

Then you can buy local PSN credit from a site like http://www.cardscodes.com who email you the store code.

This is a reissued PS1 game from 2001 so don't expect anything too amazing!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 am

I'll stick to my PS3 mahjong game. This will be better for now... If this goes out on euro PSN...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 pm

The Fortuna game offers standard modern Japanese mahjong with riichi, dora and tiered limits but no red fives - the only rule option is to choose one or two wind rounds each time. It shows the seat selection at the beginning of a match and the dice-rolling and wall-break at the start of every hand but this only takes a few seconds so it shouldn't get too annoying. The graphics are naturally quite basic but they're functional and fill a widescreen without stretching.

The most noteworthy aspect of the game is that you have to press a button (either Circle or Up) to make each opponent take their turn. This sounds like a pain but I like it because instead of being spoonfed with the usual pop-ups for Pon, Riichi, Ron, etc you now have to watch for when these options are available and open the commands menu manually. The only pop-ups you get during play are occasional speech-balloons from the girls that you need to close before you can continue. Also unusually you have the option of whether or not you wish to declare your tenpai hand in a draw.

The Uranai (fortune-telling) mode plays like standard riichi too but you have the additional option of playing a single hand instead of a full round, there's a celestial starfield background and you get some extra screens after the match.

PS Fans of retro mahjong titles from this era should definitely check out the Japanese PSN store which has around twenty PS1 mahjong games for the same money (600 yen each).

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks for the coverage on this, Bart. Glad to see some of these games making out for westerners to try (at a reasonable price). The original Japanese PS1 edition is easy to come by - I may have to pick it up.