WWYD 2013-06-24

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Nya~

You may select 1 option

View results

Shirluban

WWYD 2013-06-24

Post by Shirluban » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-06-24

Post by Kyuu » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm

red-dra

One gone. It's early. Kill it now.

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 pm

9-crak

I don't really want to get stuck waiting for dora only if I can help it. If I get a white-dra I'm happy waiting for red-dra and 4-bam leaves the most options for an open-ended wait.

gartheee
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by gartheee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 am

There's already one red dragon out, we're one away from ready and I'd like to take the option with the most available tiles. Without dreaming too hard about snagging second or even first place, it does leave the door nicely open if we happen to draw our winner, especially if white dragon or dora are in the hand. Drawing any of

3-bam 4-bam 5-bam 8-crak 9-crak

All call for an immediate reach

Slightly disappointing draws would be

2-bam 6-bam 7-crak

though we can take tenpai and hold out for a better wait.

Harmonix
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Harmonix » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Please tell me that those numbers +200 +100, -100, -200 aren't the uma bonuses...
Because if so then you need 5200 points (40 fu 3 fan or just 4 fan+) or a 2600 point direct hit on the player across (40 fu 2 fan or 3 fan+) to not go negative by a lot just from uma bonuses alone. (Player sitting at west can get a direct hit on the dealer, thereby bringing a "sudden death" south round in a tonpuusen game is another possibility. Unfortunately East is leading in points so if it ends up being a draw with him in tenpai, the game will still end instantly.)
...apparently it seems there's a 200 point difference in uma bonuses/deductions between 2nd and 3rd place ...

Taking that into account, it's either praying for uradora/tsumo/ippatsu after a riichi or going for a honitsu of manzi since I see you already tossed some pinzu.
They both look like pretty bad choices.
With the riichi route, the haku are most likely going to stay as a pair (if the haku is pon'd, the hand will be stuck at 1 fan (unless honitsu) or 2 fan if you draw the 7 or 8 manzi and go single wait) so you'll just get riichi +1 for sure and the possibility of ippatsu, tsumo, and ura dora. Of course, if someone kans or lays down more riichi sticks, that changes things also.
Honitsu will take a while but if you draw the dora and pon the haku, it'll be 4 fan, giving you a sure shot at going in second. If kamicha decides to riichi (since he technically has nothing to lose seeing that the game is basically based off of placement due to uma bonuses) then he'll basically feed you all the tiles you need to chi later on. (He needs a haneman direct hit on dealer or tsumo to come in first.)
Discard: 4-bam

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:27 am

Oh wow, I was thinking this from a tenhou last place avoidance point of view. But with the rewards like that, bottom 2 avoidance seems to be the key. Then one has to keep the chun. Both riichi+tsumo+dora and riichi+tsumo+sangenpai grant 5200 tsumo, getting to second place for the sudden death. So 4s it indeed is.