Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Barticle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:07 am

These seem to be two separate games from the same company, on the same platform, with the same release date.

The first eight chars of both titles (日本プロ麻雀連盟) are the Japanese name for the JPML, otherwise the loooong titles are entirely different - one is a female pro challenge while the other is an instructional game that will help you develop a strong technique. The main table view appears to be identical though so they were probably developed in parallel.

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by XFRod » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah, figured it was something like that. I've got them both pre-ordered, regardless.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:25 pm

The training one (first PDF link above) looks to have a lot of tutorial and test modes which will be pretty text-heavy.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 pm

D3 Publisher are expanding their long-running 'Simple' budget series to the Nintendo 3DS handheld and - as has often been the case on other platforms - Volume 1 will be "The Mahjong".

Even though the system is almost 2.5 years old now, I believe this is the first retail mahjong title for the 3DS.

Here's an official trailer. The game releases in Japan next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gidvgdc2IQ

Remember - all 3DS software is region-locked so you'd need a Japanese model 3DS to play it.

EDIT: They also released "@Simple DL Series Vol. 15 The Mahjong" which I think is a cutdown download-only version of the above which can then be expanded to match the full game by the addition of an upgrade kit. D3 used the same system with their November 2014 PS4 mahjong game(s).
Last edited by Barticle on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diddysinatra
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by diddysinatra » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:16 pm

DiddySinatra here. I'm a random guy in the planning stages of making a Mahjong game. I have a question (that complaint about missing a clear persistent indicator of your seat wind, and lack of control of how long you have to make moves in an offline environment is what sparked it :) ):

What's the most annoying missing feature(s) that you guys have had to deal with in the Mahjong games you've played?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 pm

hi DS and welcome to the RM forums. :)

surely your question/project deserves its own thread for increased exposure?

I'm sure there are several of us here who would be happy to provide input and to read/see progress reports.

Bart

diddysinatra
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by diddysinatra » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Barticle wrote:hi DS and welcome to the RM forums. :)

surely your question/project deserves its own thread for increased exposure?

I'm sure there are several of us here who would be happy to provide input and to read/see progress reports.

Bart

Hi Bart!

Hmm, I'm new to this board, so I was a little scared to just start plopping new threads out there when this one "seemed" to fit the bill for the question I had and the context. I often see people on other sites being yelled at by people saying "there's already a thread for that, go away newb", or similar things. But you're right, this is the opposite situation! My own thread would be a good place to ask questions and see feedback that people are willing to give! I'll do it :D

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 pm

We're a pretty friendly bunch here on the whole - and noobs are steered politely where necessary. :)

Anyways, I have some interesting news. Despite the imminent launch of the PS4, Mahjong Haoh: Dankyuu Battle 3 has just been announced for the PS3. Several earlier titles in the same series were available on the PS2, PSP, DS and PC.

Play Asia and Amazon Japan have it listed for release on 31 October 2013; it seems to be a budget title as it's under US$40 on Play.
Last edited by Barticle on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Sega have just announced Ryū ga Gotoku: Ishin!, the next title in the RGG series (a.k.a. Yakuza in the West).

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201308/18038505.html

Judging by the artwork it's a thematic sequel to RGG: Kenzan!, the 2008 PS3 historic samurai-era spin-off that was sadly never localised into English.

It's pretty certain this will be released for the PS4 but it's not yet confirmed.

Despite the anachronism, the new game is very likely to include riichi mahjong again as a playable minigame.

EDIT: official site now live but platform/s still TBC. http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/ishin/

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

At the big Sony Japan press conference today Ishin! was confirmed as a launch title for the PS4's Japanese release on 22 Feb.

It'll also be available on PS3.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:17 am

The full list of Japanese launch titles for the PS4 also includes Tottemo E-Mahjong Plus which must be an enhanced version of the 2012 downloadable mahjong game on the Vita.

Here's a (very quick!) trailer for the new game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbY1PQrWec

Lotharen
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Lotharen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 am

Are there any Richii Mahjong games for PC that aren't online? I found a very old program but would love something a bit more 'recent' if its available.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi Rowen, welcome to the site!

As I noted above, I don't really play on PC so I can only refer you to previous suggestions.

- Saikyō no Mājan
http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... =30#p55484

- Sega's MJ
http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... 18&t=53188

- gamedesign.jp Flash game (online play but single-player and in English)
http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... =30#p54923

Pretty much all the "mahjong" PC games on Amazon US/UK will be solitaire. I'm sure that a proportion on Amazon Japan would be true mahjong but I have no experience of these.

Bart

eikii
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by eikii » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 pm

@ Lotharen
you might also try out "Saikyo no Mahjong 3D", its a amazing game with CPUs.

@ the rest of the community
I've a simple question and I would be very glad if you can help me out a bit.

Most of the time a play 'JanRyuMon Mobile' on my cellphone, but yesterday I received a sad message:

"Dear Janryumon Mobile Community Member,

We thank you all for the support you have shown to Janryumon Mobile. Since our October 2011 launch, we have made it our first priority to bring you the best gaming experience we can offer.

However, after careful consideration, we’ve made a difficult decision to shut down Janryumon Mobile as it seemed to be an appropriate time to end the game. We will end all services on January 10th, 2014. Until then, you will be able to use the existing coins that you already have, but you will no longer be able to purchase additional coins.

gain, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community and meet you again with another exciting game in the future.

Sincerely,
The Janryumon Mobile Staff"

you can also find the same notice on their website:
http://www.janryumon.com/board/notice_eng/list

my actual question is: will I still be able to play this game in single mode/offline (with CPUs) or will they completely shut it down? I really like the layout, design and gameplay. it would be a shame if they shut it down. I know there are plenty of other RMJ apps, but this one is great if you just want to play against AIs

would really appreciate it, if someone can give me an answer.
thanks in advance!

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:54 pm

@eikii: I haven't used the app before but after downloading it and taking a look my guess would be it's only the network mode that will be disabled. You don't have to login until you select Network, so they (in theory) can't do anything to stop you playing single player. Also if they're bringing it down it's probably due to costs etc meaning it's the login and game servers' running costs they are most likely to be trying to cut, and single player doesn't use those servers from what I can tell, they are purely on your phone.

Edit: Just double checked and you can play single player without a network connection. So even after they bring the servers down you should be ok to play single player.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze