10 things I hate the most

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

10 things I hate the most

Post by or2az » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:14 am

Here is my top 10 list of things I hate the most while playing mahjong video games. I'm sure you've experienced them all, and more.
#10 Discarding a dragon early and immediately drawing an identical one. Discarding that one and immediately drawing a third one.
#9 Getting that 3rd dragon or value wind on the first draw and not getting another decent tile for the rest of the hand.
#8 Going for tanyao early after a few good draws and getting nothing but terminals and honors for the rest of the hand.
#7 Deciding what to discard when going for a single wait and drawing a tile the same as the one you just threw out.
#6 When the tile you just discarded to go for a single wait immediately gets claimed for the win and you wish you would have thrown the other one.
#5 Having all the tiles in your hand in the same suit and someone else wins before you get the flush.
#4 Discarding tiles you think are safe and still getting "ronned" three times in a row.
#3 Being in furiten and not knowing it, especially when someone wins on the next tile after you are unable to claim the winning tile.
#2 Leading in points for the entire game and getting pushed down into 2nd place on the last hand.
And the #1 thing I hate the most;
#1 Calling Riichi early, the game goes on auto-pilot, and someone else wins before you, especially when they win on one of your discards. That really burns me up!
Well, that's it. Hope you enjoyed it, and maybe laughed a little.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: 10 things I hate the most

Post by Ozball » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:34 am

Heh, these can be attributed to Mahjong in general really. Except for the furiten one gets expanded to you chombo'ing if you don't notice it in time.

A lot of these should see a reduction in occurrences add you get stronger, since you get better at picking your waits and reading your opponents discards. They'll never disappear entirely though.

Going to add one of my own to the list: Getting to tenpai with a mangan+ hand going damaten, and having some win the hand with just a 1000 point hand.
Has happened to me so often as of late in both MFC and at Marchao.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 10 things I hate the most

Post by gemma » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:13 am

I'm adding something that Garthe did to me yesterday.

His first two discards are 9-bam . I've got three dora in my hand so I'm feeling pretty. My 6th draw is a 9-bam . So I discard it happily. Garthe then calls chi for it. He then goes on to win the whole hand. I mean seriously, who does that?! I've never wanted to insert a tile into someone's skull so badly.

Maybe it's just a super awesome pro-move that I don't understand...