thought I had a good one!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

thought I had a good one!

Post by or2az » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 am

When I claimed the 4-dot that south discarded, I thought I had a REALLY good one! There was Toi-Toi, and four doras, and me in the east seat, and since 3 of the pungs were consecutive in the same suit (SAN RENKO), I had a total of 8 han, or so I thought. NO CREDIT FOR THE SAN RENKO.
It's not that I wasn't satisfied with the 18,000 pts (instead of 24,000), but this was the same video game that gave me a double yakuman for Parenchan (eight consecutive dealer continuances), which was also an optional hand. How disappointing! I wonder why San Renko is not recognized?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.43 KiB) Viewed 6166 times

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: thought I had a good one!

Post by gemma » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 pm

It's because the meld of 4-dot was not concealed. You won it from someone's discard, meaning that it was open. If you had drawn it yourself, you would have been able to claim for three concealed pungs. Hope that helps!

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Your hand does not count for either sanankou (as mentioned above), nor sanrenkou (which does not exist in modern mahjong, from the limited research I have done, no one counts that since 1985 at the latest).

Those who persist to think it is claimable have been successfully blindsided by the internet guides to learn mahjong. Second hand, I know of one of the common websites to learn mahjong rules that predates reachmahjong.com (there really are only 3) was intentionally spiked by its author, and that another of the sites has been as well, but I don't have that kind of second-hand confirmation (third hand conjecture). Otherwise, I doubt it has been included in RM's books or literature.

Yes, I too was saddened by my first sanrenkou on Ron2 back in the day but if it doesn't count, it doesn't count.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes, I knew I didn't qualify for San Anko (three concealed pungs) when I claimed the discard. It was not getting credit for the San Renko (three consecutive pungs) that surprised me. I mean, Why have a Su Renko (four consecutive pungs) even exist as an optional hand if the San Renko doesn't count?
Added note: I just noticed that on the other app I use (Mahjong Nagomi), there is an option to enable certain optional hands, including San Renko and Su Renko. Others include the Great Wheel, Red Peacock, and Big Seven Star. Good luck getting one of those!!
Last edited by or2az on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Sorry! I read san renko as san anko. My bad!

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:09 pm

No problem! I'm glad you took the time to respond in the first place. I just finished a game where I thought I might have another good one but I wasn't holding my breath. Being in 4th place on the last hand, with my hand full of crap, I decided to go for it, and it happened. The game ended in a draw and I had NAGASHI MANGAN (All terminal and honor discards), with none being called by other players.
You have to be "lucky" to keep drawing "crap" from the wall and pray that no one claims your discards. This is not easy.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (215.98 KiB) Viewed 6109 times