how did you learn about mahjong?

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

SaWfan1
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: how did you learn about mahjong?

Post by SaWfan1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 pm

I understand. The fu points mess me up, so I usually aim for mangan or higher :lol:

Rosti
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rosti » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:41 am

Referee wrote:One of the CD that came with one of my computer's (now long defunct) CD-ROM unit had several games, and one of them was a Mahjong game (Hong Kong style, which is basically call out with any regular hand). That's my first memory I can recall of "Mahjong is not a solitaire thing with weird pictures".
Pretty much the exact same for me. Was yours by any chance also a CD by a company called eGames that was mostly full of demos? :P

I started out "Mahjongg: Game of Four Winds" on that CD, played it for a bit, bought a set and played a few basic games with my family (who weren't really that keen) and then later came across riichi mahjong through the anime Akagi. Mostly it was the whole face-up tile in the wall that intrigued me, because at the time I obviously had no idea what the hell it was for. I looked up the rules, found Tenhou.net and I've pretty much not looked back to any other form of mahjong besides riichi since :P
Cambridge University Riichi Mahjong Society - anyone living in or around Cambridge welcome to attend

Jiazzz
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Jiazzz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 am

I've known it since I was little. I'm Chinese and we used to own a restaurant. After my father, my uncle and the cooks were done working, they often went to the back and played mahjong. Same at the house of a friend of mine. But I was still young at that time and didn't understand the rules, so I just built things with the tiles :P
Four or five years ago that friend informed me about Akagi and I picked up the rules of riichi mahjong. But I don't remember if I learned the basic/Chinese rules before this.

Oops
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Oops » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 pm

I just randomly found this site:)
I liked the design btw, love dragons:)
then I decided to sign up:)

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I learnd about mahjong on my studies, when professor, talking about japanese modern culture, show us how to play. After a month of learning by my self I found out that this professor messed up with few importatn rules while teaching us XD

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Wed May 02, 2012 1:03 pm

I watched Saki, not knowing a clue as to what was going on gamewise.

Then an online buddy pointed me to Saikyo 3D Mahjong.

The rest is history.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Wed May 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Moah
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Moah » Fri May 04, 2012 5:41 am

Learned about mahjong by watching a couple of Saki episodes during my "what's interesting in the new anime" rounds. Got hooked on both the anime and the game.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat May 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Hey Kyuu the one who told that was one with the simpsons soparano´s sttyle image on Crunchyroll?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

WaveMaster
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by WaveMaster » Sat May 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Chalk up another one for Saki. I learned how to play so I could follow the anime; although I learned the actual rules from Wikipedia and the like.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Ignatius wrote:Hey Kyuu the one who told that was one with the simpsons soparano´s sttyle image on Crunchyroll?
Probably referring to a different "Kyuu". There are so many of us. :mrgreen: I use KyuuA4 as a login name there. Plus, I barely log in there.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 am

I just asked it because was me who posted in the saki anime forum about that mahjong game, so I was curious... But it´s not important.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

xDsoul
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by xDsoul » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 pm

I first saw mahjong after watching kung fu mahjong 2 but my interest peaked after watching the advice. ..... wahhhhh... guess what NOT SAKI :D... I actually first watched akagi then the legendary gambler tetsuya. Both are yakuza based animes ive been paying and watching since 16 n im 18 now so 2 years. Saki didnt peak my interest till recently :3 lol

DarkMorford
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by DarkMorford » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Another Saki victim here. I swear, it seems like everyone who watches that show gets interested in the game. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. I've been learning/practicing against AIs, but hopefully I can start playing against real people soon!

diddysinatra
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by diddysinatra » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I actually randomly stumbled upon Akagi, nothing's been the same since...