Akagi

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Akagi

Post by or2az » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 am

I have been pretty busy in the past few weeks watching anime. First, it was Akagi. 26 episodes. Excellent! Next, Tetsuya. 20 episodes. Very good!
Now, I am turning my eyes toward Saki. This one is obviously very different. I just finished watching 5 episodes. I hope I can get through the next 20 without suffering some sort of brain damage. The Yuuki character is driving me crazy. I am going to toughen up and try to make it through. Wish me luck!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:46 am

Good luck!

I'm a Saki fan. But I know some people can't stand it. It' a weird mahjong anime. If you compare this with Akagi or Legendary Gambler Tetsuya, of course...

Is a moe anime with superpowers, lesbians and healty mahjong.

It's not the best anime out there, but is enjoyable. I do love it!

I find it very interesting and I can, more or less, read the manga in japanese which got me hooked.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:11 am

Well, 5 episodes a night for 5 nights and I just finished watching Saki, and although I hate to admit it, I did enjoy it. I started to get into it after the first 5 episodes, when they actually started playing mahjong at the tournament.
The music at the beginning and end of each episode was pretty catchy and while some of those mahjong hands were really unbelievable, the overall story was simple and refreshing, sort of like a mahjong comedy as opposed to the drama of Akagi and Tetsuya. It didn't take much concentration.
I actually found myself reading the character descriptions listed on Wikipedia but I'll deny it if asked. Even had a craving for tacos at one point.
I understand there are 2 sequels to Saki, also in anime. Will have to look into that.
(Ignatius-finally got to see what your avatar is like in "real life")

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Yeah, this anime is catchy.

The second season, Achiga-hen is an spinoff. At first I didn't like it. But in the end... You'll find characters to like there too...

Achiga-hen. 16 episodes. The first episode happens before the original series, and until 4th or so, happens during the first season. From there on, it's at the same time of the third season.

The Achiga's main characters are different. You'll see Yuuki, Hisa, and the gang on the third series, Zenkoku-hen. Only 12 episodes.

Blame the lack of manga. But don't suffer, there will be a 4th season, I bet it. They have also the Shinohayu spinoff too to make a fifth series, if they want... Or even the four panel comedic spinoff, Sakibiyori. But this last one has no mahjong, it's about what happens in the lives of the characters when they are not into mahjong. And man, Ikeda Kana triplet sisters rock there...

This manga has to sell a lot, it has 3 spinoffs in total.

I do like Kana because she never give up. She's kinda annoying sometimes, but lovable.
Last edited by Ignatius on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm

What about Saki: The nationals. There are 13 episodes. Is this the same as zenkoku-hen? (you said this has 12)

I think its the people doing the voices which make the characters interesting and funny (especially yuuki). They do a great job even though I can't understand a word they are saying.

Also, what can you tell me about this Kaiji anime? Is it mahjong related? I think there are two 26 episode anime for this one. I'm not sure.
It looks like an Akagi-type production.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh yeah, 13 episodes. Yes, Zenkoku-hen and Nationals are the same. Zenkoku means "national, inside the whole country". Saki's voice acting is marvellous. In fact, most of the voice actresses working on Saki or it's spinoffs are probably the best. They are very good, some of them are famous inside the voice acting world in Japan. Yuuki voice actress is called The tsundere queen... Rie Kugimiya.

Edit: She does a marvellous work with Yuuki. Yuuki is very funny, and in the point the manga is now, she´s extremely powerful mahjong player, one of the best I think.

Kaiji is a manga fron Akagi's author, Nobuyuki Fukumoto. It's about bizarre games and gambling. I din't watched it except for a few episodes. The main character, Kaiji, is forced, on the episodes I've seen, to play weird games and gamble and risk not only money but his life. As a rock, paper, scissors's game with really weird rules. As far as I know, Kaiji plays mahjong during the series, but I don't know if he does play on the manga, the anime or both... Maybe I'm wrong.
Last edited by Ignatius on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Heikai
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Heikai » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Ignatius wrote:Kaiji is a manga fron Akagi's author, Nobuyuki Fukumoto. It's about bizarre games and gambling. I din't watched it except for a few episodes. The main character, Kaiji, is forced, on the episodes I've seen, to play weird games and gamble and risk not only money but his life. As a rock, paper, scissors's game with really weird rules. As far as I know, Kaiji plays mahjong during the series, but I don't know if he does play on the manga, the anime or both... Maybe I'm wrong.
Kaiji is my favorite anime of all time and the reason I became a fan of Nobuyuki Fukumoto and later started to play Mahjong (because of Akagi). In the season 3 of the manga Kaiji plays a unique Mahjong variant called 17 Steps Mahjong. Only the first 2 seasons of the manga are adapted into anime at the moment.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:28 am

Ignatius wrote:I do like Kana because she never give up. She's kinda annoying sometimes, but lovable.
"Well, it will only take 30 exhaustive draws with just me and oya in tenpai. Could go faster if someone throws in a riichi stick". She's awesome.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Referee wrote:
Ignatius wrote:I do like Kana because she never give up. She's kinda annoying sometimes, but lovable.
"Well, it will only take 30 exhaustive draws with just me and oya in tenpai. Could go faster if someone throws in a riichi stick". She's awesome.
Brutal.

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Akagi is still ongoing in manga(Kindai Mah-jan magazine). it is issued once a month.
Do not surprise that for a while they don't play mahjong, but Washizu went hell and fight with demons.
After coming back from hell, o-ras has been started from Apr 2014. Now October. it means 7 chapters has done.
It was finished ?
No...Still haipai(distributin tiles)!!!!

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 pm

I understand there are 2 sequels to Saki, also in anime. Will have to look into that.
Just finished watching the 13 episode saki:the nationals after watching the 16 episode achiga-hen spinoff.
I thought they were good but the original was better. I expected the "nationals" to end with a winner but it only went up to the semifinals.
I hate to admit it but after watching 59 total episodes of 3 saki animes in less than a month, I hope to eventually see a conclusion to the tournament.
Is there one being produced?
index.jpg
index.jpg (17.08 KiB) Viewed 13743 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:19 pm

or2az wrote:
Just finished watching the 13 episode saki:the nationals after watching the 16 episode achiga-hen spinoff.
I thought they were good but the original was better. I expected the "nationals" to end with a winner but it only went up to the semifinals.
I hate to admit it but after watching 59 total episodes of 3 saki animes in less than a month, I hope to eventually see a conclusion to the tournament.
Is there one being produced?
index.jpg
As far as I know there are 13 books out. I have till 12 and Zenkoku-hen anime ended on book 11. The only thing that will get animated is an OVA of Sakibiyori (the four panel comedic spinoff), as a gift for the special edition of Saki's 14th book, on sale around july.

But as this manga is famous I hope there will be anime for the last part. Being that famous, even Shinohayu spinoff could be animated, who knows...

As far as I´ve read, the Himematsu characters, who are very cool, are cooler on this last part.

I think they will make a new anime series when the manga is just about to end, to include the end at last. There are only a few matches to see Kiyosumi, Shiraitodai, Achiga and a fouth team (Usuzan, Rinkai or Himematsu) battle in the finals. Probably this could even start on 14th book, but sure it starts on 15th book. At least I think so. If this last part starts on 14th book, better...
Last edited by Ignatius on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 pm

so what you are saying is that it is going to be quite a while before nodoka gets to play against shizuno and saki goes up against her sister....unless you can read japanese.
(well, at least yuuki won't be driving me crazy for a while, lord help me, I can't believe I'm having this conversation!)
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 13738 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes. We will need to wait. I hope the waiting makes it worthwhile...

The one who will play against Teru is Yûki. Saki will play against Oohoshi Awai, and Takakamo Shizuno too.

That was the playing order in Achiga-hen.

Teru is her team's Senpô (first player). Saki is her team´s Taishô (last player). So, sadly, the Miyanaga sisters will not face each other directly.

I suppose they could make individual arc filler with Teru, Saki and Arakawa Kei playing together with Fujiwara Rise, for example, as those last two characters are strong and play on the individual tournament only.

P.S: Great Yûki pic.

I'm not religious, but...

Praise the Lord and keep talking about Saki.

Or if you prefer:

Keep calm and watch/read Saki.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:09 pm

This is my favorite piece of music from the Saki Anime. It is the ending theme in certain episodes and this is the full version with lyrics.
I actually looked forward to hearing this and was disappointed when it wasn't used. A real catchy tune.
Now if only I knew what they were saying in English. (Hint: Ignatius)

"Netsuretsu Kangei Wonderland" (熱烈歓迎わんだーらんど Enthusiastic Welcome Wonderland?) by Kana Ueda, Ami Koshimizu, Rie Kugimiya, Ryōko Shiraishi, and Shizuka Itō (Saki, episodes 2-6, 8-9, 11-14)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0rzZCsdvSU
Last edited by or2az on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.