Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Ignatius » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 am

Mahjong Tengokuhai has a lot of help and guide info during play, but can be deactivated. I don't know if the game let you do chombo or other mistakes.
Long time ago I played a super nes or genesis game that let you do those mistakes but I don't remember the game's name, so...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:13 pm

BailandoTotoro wrote: I was wondering if anyone knows if there's any mahjong game out there (iphone) that will let you chombo, miss a chance to call tiles, and miss win? I was wondering if there's any mahjong game that has such an option. Thanks!
From the multitude of riichi apps I initially tried in my search for perfection, I have only run across one that lets you make the mistake and then pay for it, and it's not an option. It's a rule.
There is also a 99 cent version. I have only played the free version. I wasn't crazy about some of the features in this app. Let me know what you think.
Oh, I believe it's in English. (which when I started, was a plus, now, it doesn't really matter)
phpb13v5pAM.jpg
phpb13v5pAM.jpg (17.32 KiB) Viewed 18405 times
phpgPpA1KAM.jpg
phpgPpA1KAM.jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 18405 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:36 pm

The problem with disabling prompts for calls and ron wins is that the game has to either allow you a few seconds "thinking time" after every single discard (which makes games last forever) or require you to click/tap to continue after every single discard (in which case you'll probably end up with RSI).

The Mario-themed Yakuman DS on the Nintendo DS has an option of chombo for an illegal win or riichi. When the option is enabled the tsumo and riichi pop-ups are disabled.

Also Pro Ni Naru and Custom Mahjong (essentially the same basic game) on the Nintendo DS don't give you automatic prompts on your turn for tsumo, riichi or kan.

In Akko de Pon, also on the Nintendo DS, you pay chombo if you get caught cheating. ;) (or if you make a false accusation of cheating)

Yay Platinumized! 8) (my 1000th post)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Congratulations! Do you get a prize? (like maybe a chocolate riichi stick or something)
How about a piece of cake?
phpQ4KssOPM.jpg
phpQ4KssOPM.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 18397 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks! This is kinda neat since "cake" is a slang term for the 1 dots tile.

In Dutch mahjong, as described in Jelte Rep's The Great Mahjong Book, you can win a hand and score a bonus for "Bird Eats Cake" if you have a pair wait on a 1 bams tile (bird) and match it with a "cake".

2-dot 3-dot 4-dot 2-crak 2-crak 2-crak 7-crak 8-crak 9-crak red-dra red-dra red-dra 1-bam (nom) 1-dot

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Barticle wrote:Simple Series G4U Vol. 1: The Mahjong releases on 27 November.
Perhaps by way of celebration, I've pre-ordered this new PS4 game. Guide to follow in due course, etc.

It's only US$26 from Play Asia with free shipping. It should be even cheaper to download if you have PSN Yen credit: ¥1852 (US$17).

It's a budget title so expectations are fairly low.

BailandoTotoro
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BailandoTotoro » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 am

or2az wrote: There is also a 99 cent version. I have only played the free version. I wasn't crazy about some of the features in this app. Let me know what you think.
Oh, I believe it's in English. (which when I started, was a plus, now, it doesn't really matter)
phpb13v5pAM.jpg
phpgPpA1KAM.jpg
Thanks for your recommendation or2az, this game does indeed allow you to chombo, which I did commit a couple of times :) (noob mistakes). No riichi or tsumo prompts whatsoever, those button are active all the time so if you click on them without having proper winning hand => chombo! IMHO, this is a great feature that should be included as an option in all mahjong games.
As for chi/pon/kan, if you could do it then the most recently discarded tile will outlined with a red color.
As far as graphic and presentation, this game lives up to its name, it's really simple! Hehe. Tiles are quite small and somewhat hard to see (then again, it could be that my iphone 4 screen is small), discarded tiles are ordered in rows of 12 :shock:, and lastly sometime the horizontal tiles that indicate the owner of the called tile were put in the wrong positions (for example, it is in a middle position for a pon from the player on the right). I like the graphic of Tengokuhai a whole lot better (haven't downloaded it, just saw the screenshots).
Ruleset: kan ura, 2 fan shibari, double ron, dobon, kuitan, red 5, agari yame, triple ron (all these are on/off options). Also, you can pick E round only versus ES round. Thinking level high or low, and a very interesting option called ikasama on/off, which I thought I read somewhere means cheating (I could be completely wrong here).
Lastly, about the gameplay, I'm still a beginner and don't think I'm qualified to say whether the AI is really smart or not, all I can say is you might get more responsible/appropriate discards depending on which character you pick. For example, they have someone named Kokushi Juzo, yup you guessed it, he seems to only go for kokushi musou, discarding 5 from p,m,s right at the beginning. Sigh!
Final verdict, though I might still comeback to this game once in a while for its chombo feature, I most likely will play another game (e.g. Tengokuhai). This review is about the free version only, not sure how the paid version is (most likely won't be that much different.)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am

I believe ikasama is some sort of cheating option. I never used it so I can't tell you what it does.
If you want to experience other rules like wareme, yakitori, shugi, haku pocchi, and more, try the pay version of the Kiwame app by Athena.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53059&start=15#p57578
It has larger (and nicer) tiles, better graphics, and cool voice animation, and is still on sale for 99 cents. It is not a "simple" jong.
(I prefer the red or green play tables and never play with the music)
CAUTION: you might get addicted to this one.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Yes, ikasama denotes trickery or fraud and in a mahjong context it means cheating.

The full title of the third DS game I mentioned above is Akko de Pon: Ikasama Hourouki.

Check out my guide to that game for a comprehensive overview of mahjong cheating techniques. :wink:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Finally, two and a half years since its Japanese release, Yakuza 5 has been announced for Euro and US release next summer. :D

The PS3 game will be download-only (no retail disc). Previous titles Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls will be released as downloads this coming weekend.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/06/yakuza-5- ... n-4976098/

Assuming there are no cuts, the full mahjong minigame is playable at parlours in two of the five cities in Yakuza 5.
Last edited by Barticle on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:42 pm

I wanna play Yakuza 5. I would like to play Yakuza Ishin in english but that will not happen.

Still we're lucky that english Yakuza 5 got a green lit. Better than nothing.

Also I hope this game has not cut content.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:38 pm

After waiting 2.5 years I was getting very close to importing RGG5. It's very cheap now and will probably get even cheaper after the budget re-issue in Japan next week (and after today's news).

Ishin is awesome, you should import it. The excellent KHH Subs guide covers everything you need to know.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Barticle wrote:[...] Pro Ni Naru and Custom Mahjong (essentially the same basic game) on the Nintendo DS don't give you automatic prompts on your turn for tsumo, riichi or kan.
The same applies to Vol. 1 Mahjong and Vol. 9 Two-Player Mahjong in the 1500 DS Spirits budget range.

My new guide to the latter is now available on GameFAQs.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Barticle wrote:
Barticle wrote:Simple Series G4U Vol. 1: The Mahjong releases on 27 November.
Perhaps by way of celebration, I've pre-ordered this new PS4 game. Guide to follow in due course, etc.[...]
I finished the guide last night and it's now available online. This is technically my 50th guide upload to GameFAQs.

It only arrived on Thursday but I'm glad to report I've got my first yakuman in the game - Suu Ankou with double points from Wareme! :twisted:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:46 am

Kenka Banchou 6: Soul & Blood was released in Japan this week for the Nintendo 3DS. It has a high-school setting but otherwise there are similarities to the Yakuza series - gang brawler combat, shops and food outlets based on real-life chains and numerous playable minigames including mahjong.

http://youtu.be/Zyh8xlV9B2E?t=2m38s

Previous titles in the series were released on the PS2 and PSP. Unlike the 3DS and PS2, the PSP doesn't have region-locking.

Kenka Banchou 3 (PSP) was released in America as Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble, but I think that was the only one to get released outside Asia.