Junchan

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Junchan

Post by Ignatius » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Wow, super cute!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:24 pm

I agree, nice pic. :)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Well, I guess half a kana is better than no kana at all. Maybe I could call this hand a shirona-chan, after the youngest (left).
phpDduOvIAM.jpg
phpDduOvIAM.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
Anyway, after 2 months, finally got another junchan, this one was concealed, along with other yaku and dora (8 han only, kana had 13, a kazoe).
Had a decent starting hand and decided to go for it. (riichi, pinfu, iipeiko, junchan, dora 2....16000pts, kana had 32000)
phpeOeoDiAM.jpg
phpeOeoDiAM.jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
phpEHmPI6AM.jpg
phpEHmPI6AM.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
Some might remember a song from way back when, My Sharona, if not, grab a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2JtsVumFA
Last edited by or2az on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Cool to see the info of the post and the pic. Ikeda Kana for president!

Usually it´s no easy to get a hand like this.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Ignatius wrote:Ikeda Kana for president!
Where do I vote?

Nice hand, btw. Those pinfu junchan are always scary, because if the wrong tile comes up, you miss on 3 han (here 4 because of iipeikou).

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 pm

You mean if the 6-dot came up instead of the 9-dot . If that happened, should I consider passing up the win (there are 24 tiles left) and hope for tsumo? I have never done that and I think we have had this discussion before.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53232&p=56940&hilit ... ile#p56936
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53232&p=56940&hilit ... ile#p56938

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Going furiten for a tsumo on 9-pin with 24 tiles remaining (six draws) looks like a bleaky situation. I think you should take your win, unless the situation requires for you to get a bigger hand.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Looking at the table, if a 6-dot came, I probably would take it. Or2az pond has no pinzu/dot tiles in it. I bet if the rivals were real they would think: "Starting the last third of the game and this guy has not discarded a single pinzu tiles? I bet this guy is collecting them like there´s no tomorow!"

Also, in the other hand, someone may think that if a 7-dot 8-dot and 9-dot are out, the first two in an early tages, and the last one recently, at least the 9-dot is relatively safe discard, nobody seemed to like it when got discarded, doesn´t it?
and this hand is a High-Value one, or2az is winning big (assuming that the second pic was before the win), if so, he can end the game quicky.

If not, Why not to be pushy on East 2 hand, with a doable Yakuman (hard to do, but not impposible).

In videogames, aginst the CPU I tend to be more agressive than when playing online.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Yeah, if the 6-dot would have been discarded (by North) instead of the 9-dot , I would have taken it for the win.
As referee stated above, going furiten for a tsumo on 9-pin with 24 tiles remaining (six draws) is not a good situation.
I had 31800 pts before the win which was about a 5000 pt lead, (North and East both had 26500 pts), and although the junchan and iipeiko would vanish, I believe the resulting riichi pinfu dora 2 would still be a mangan under the kiriage rule (8000 instead of 7700).
I would hate losing the hard to get junchan but it's not like I had a squad of girls cheering me on (like Kiyosumi).

I'm not sure which yakuman you are referring to, but speaking of Kana, she sure has her hands full with her 3 sisters. (Saki picture drama episode 6)
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 8986 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Sorry, I was thinking about that Baiman you´ve got in the end. And wrote Yakuman instead. My bad.

I´m the younger of 4 boys, I know the feeling of having a full house. For my big brother, the work he did with us, made him happy and rewarded.

Kana is the same. Always happy, or almost always.