Haifu (牌譜) analysis

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

saitym
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Haifu (牌譜) analysis

Post by saitym » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:27 pm

I would be willing to analyse any mahjong haifu if they are easily accessible (such as the tenhou haifu) to suggest improvements in play. Unlike WWYD threads, people can look at the whole haifu and suggest improvements or mistakes that you might not have even noticed.

If there is a similar thread like this, can someone link me to it thanks

mrfeng
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Haifu (牌譜) analysis

Post by mrfeng » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:50 pm

A few players do it occasionally on Osamuko's fb group. Me included.

saitym
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by saitym » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:39 am

yeah, it will be nice if we could do it here, or at least i'm willing to do it for anyone on the forum who is a beginner or just want to get opinions on there general play.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:51 am

I made a lot of mistakes. i realized some of them just when I did them. But if this is ok to you I´ll post here my paifu.

I consider myself a completely casual player, I play one of two hanchans, sometimes three or more in a day, if I play. But I don´t play everyday. This time I choose to go for a Tonpû just before lunch time, but I got distracted twice or three times.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2015040820gm-0 ... e915c&tw=2

I don´t know how many days it´ll be up online.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Scott Miller » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi. I have a nit-picky question. I noticed you wrote it as haifu, yet all the Japanese sources I've seen pronounce it paifu (as indicated in the phonetic alphabet as ぱいふ). I'm just curious how common is it in practice to pronounce it as haifu in Japan.

Some example sources that define the pronunciation
-Japanese wikipedia 牌譜(ぱいふ、はいふ)
-1jann 牌譜(ぱいふ)
-dictionary 牌譜(ぱいふ、はいふ)
-Ron2 Glossary 牌譜(ぱいふ)
-dictionary 牌譜(ぱいふ)

:)
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

saitym
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by saitym » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:41 pm

my mistake probably I always assumed haifu but the correct pronunciation is probably paifu. I think it can be either or I think anyways

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

As far as I know both are correct. Do not worry.
but as Scott pointed out is mmore common to find it as Paifu nowadays.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

saitym
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by saitym » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Ignatius wrote:BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON
Topic review

I'll only go through obvious mistakes
east 1
first discard - you should keep the 4-crak 6-crak 8-crak shape because it's a double kanchan, and 4-crak is a good tanyao tile but I know you went for sanshoku. I feel looking at it now the most balanced discard will actually be 1-dot to go for both tanyao and sanshoku but a difficult one. To avoid confusion and simplicity I recommend either 9-crak or 9-dot (not aim for sanshoku but go for tile efficiency) but my choice personally is 1-dot .

fourth discard- you threw 6-crak but you still don't have a jyantou or a pair, you should keep the 6-crak 7-crak 8-crak 8-crak 9-crak shape because it is a good shape to create a pair with either 6-crak 9-crak, 5-crak 8-crak tsumo creating a pair and a mentsu
EDIT - best discard i forgot to say is to discard the 1-dot 2-dot

kamicha- 7-dot discard, you must chi this 7-dot, you get a guaranteed sanshoku in your hand.

6th disard - again you still don't have a pair or a jyantou 5-bam 6-bam 7-bam 8-bam 9-bam is a very good shape to create a pair with either of 5-bam 6-bam 8-bam 9-bam creating a pair and a mentsu and therefore you should keep that shape rather than going for jyunchan full out. I would reccommend going for 1-bam or 1-crak ( probably 1-crak because there's already one in the discards) rather than 6-bam.

east 2
first discard - another possible sanshoku hand but the 5-crak is way too quick. you should discard either of the jihai for tile efficiency

not much to say other than that, good riichi

east 3

second discard - again too early to discard the 5-crak , this is just a normal yakuhai hand and so leaving the 5m for a possibility of a double sided wait is much better than keeping the 9-crak

third discard - you should not discard 5-dot , try to go for the quickest tenpai and not a yaku like chanta in this case.

12th discard after riichi - 1-dot although it is onechance, 9-crak is a better choice becasue it is a genbutsu tile, then you should throw 1-bam or 1-crak because of the 4-crak and 4-bam suji, only then when you run out of safe suji tiles, you can throw 1-dot . one chance tiles are only slightly safer than musuji tiles.

14th discard - straight after the toimen riichi, you have to throw 9-crak , 9-bam is actually dangerous to both riichi while 9-crak is genbutsu to both

15th discard- 9-crak (enough said)

east 3-1
first discard - I can't figure why you threw the 9-dot but it should be :west
I don't know if you are already bailing or not so i can't really comment on further discards,

east 4

You are tenpai- you must push 5-crak, if you win this hand you are first. You don't need to riichi becasue there is a riichi stick already on the table, you have a yaku and you hand is worth 2000 points. so if you win you will go abaove 30000 points and you'll end there as first. You get no minus points for last as 3級 as well meaning more of a reason to push. if you are a higher dan, it gets more difficult but my general opinion is you should initially push the 5-crak but bail if you draw another dangerous tile.
Last edited by saitym on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks! I will rewatch the match with that list of mistakes as a reference.

Of course, more people is allowed to bash :P , err, discuss my play.

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Scott Miller » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Totally off topic, but Ignatius, I love your signature quote!

"Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone."
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Scott Miller wrote:Totally off topic, but Ignatius, I love your signature quote!

"Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone."
Thanks, is something I truly believe. I take it to the heart.
I bet it has something to do with the fact I studied social work in the university in Spain.

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:32 pm

I posted a coupla games elsewhere in the forum:

http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... 48&t=53424
http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... 48&t=53425

or2az already kindly helped me, but if you have any comments I'd love to hear more (there or here) :D