Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Shirluban

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Shirluban » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 am

Barticle wrote:
Ignatius wrote:Tried the PS3 demo. I did read the explanation of how to play mahjong of Ryû ga gotoku 0/Yakuza 0, in japanese, and I see now what´s the problem with the english one. The problem is the japanese version lacks all that info too...
Yes, it's not the translators at fault. I guess the developers assume that most people can play or can readily find guides, either that or they (devs) don't care too much.
More likely the game designers.
Developers are supposed to follow the specifications, even the flawed ones, as long as they're technically do-able.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:33 am

Here's a free IOS app I believe has just been added to the app store. It seems to be a WWYD game with 10 problems. You are given a screenshot with 3 choices.
If you pick correctly, you hear a nice chime. If not, you get buzzed. There is a time limit. In spite of that, I scored 10/10, so the problems are not that difficult.
They might even be easy.
phphaslEUPM.jpg
phphaslEUPM.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 24010 times
phpxa71bMPM.jpg
phpxa71bMPM.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 24010 times
phpiVCdEHPM.jpg
phpiVCdEHPM.jpg (4.07 KiB) Viewed 24010 times
What I don't understand is why someone would develop a free app with only 10 problems, because once you do them, you might as well delete the app, which I did.
Maybe a translation of the screenshots below will shed some light.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:35 am

phpxs1pJuPM.jpg
phpxs1pJuPM.jpg (17.81 KiB) Viewed 24010 times
phpty0SnHPM.jpg
phpty0SnHPM.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 24010 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:25 am

I don´t know Or2az, the text says:

1st:
"What would you discard next in a a mahjong game?" mental quizzes.
Those are here to improve your thinking with practice.
What would you discard in those situations?
The mahjong strenght it has little to do with luck, let´s change the fate with a "what will you cut/discard?"

2nd:
If were you, what would you discard?
With this your thinking level will rise.
Your mahjong level will greatly improve.

As you can see, the text keeps saying the same. Nothing really useful or new when you know what a WWYD quiz game is...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:44 am

New mahjong game for Android. 麻雀 無双雀極伝 Mahjong musô jangokuden, from Mobage. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 16738.lite

Unable to download.

Also unable to download this one, which is quite old (2012)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ir.tenjiku

麻雀悟空 天竺 Mahjong Gokû Tenjiku.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:35 am

I've written a few guides now for PSP mahjong games. The latest is for AI Mahjong which has 79 custom rule options! :shock:

In Ryū ga Gotoku / Yakuza news, Yakuza 5 (the translated version of RGG5) is due for a 2015 release on PS3 although the release date has still not been announced. :x

One month ago, at a Sony Japan press conference just ahead of the Tokyo Game Show, Sega announced a further two Japanese titles for the series.

Ryū ga Gotoku: Kiwami will be a remake of RGG1 marking the 10th anniversary of the series. It will be released for the PS3 and PS4 in January and include the usual massive range of playable minigames including mahjong.

The second title - following the previous spin-off and prequel games - was of course Ryū ga Gotoku 6. Not much is known about this except that it's due on the PS4 next autumn and the cast will include the famous Japanese actor Beat Takeshi! He is probably most famous in the West for his roles in the Battle Royale films and the madcap TV show Takeshi's Castle but he is known for his appearances in yakuza movies so he's a great choice for the game.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:26 pm

The release date for Yakuza 5 was finally confirmed at the Playstation Experience event last wkend - it is available today from your local Playstation Store! (PS3)

Sony also revealed that the prequel Yakuza Zero would be translated for PS4! This has been announced as both physical and digital releases, specifically for America.

Additionally Sega are running a mahjong tournament on their Net MJ game to mark the 10th anniversary of the RGG/Yakuza series. :)

http://pl.sega-mj.com/official_view/page?news_id=2194

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Damn right! Thanks for the info :D

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Awesome! :)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:37 pm

The Steam games Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle & Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle School Girls Edition, which I talked about in the previous page, are on sale. They're really cheap. EDIT: Christmas sale is over, but I bet you´ll see more offers. Also, Zoo, the company that made the games, made Poker Pretty Girls Battle: Texas Hold'em, with all the cast from Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle in swimsuits, looks like not so good game judging from the reviews.

Both mahjong games use characters taken from erotic games, but there's nothing lewd in the game, maybe some clothes, but that's all. Both games are exactly the same (really, they're like twins, better to choose one...), and School Girls Edition looks "softer", safer for certain audiences, still you'll see big breasted ladies in a high amount.

(Not all characters are big breasted, but you know, some people automatically consider fictional characters with big boobs as bad or indecent...)

In the second game, Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle School Girls Edition, all the characters have more clothes, as every girl wears their school uniform.

You don't see the girls in the whole game except when somebody declares something, and what you can see then, is just pics. There's no animation, but there's a really good voice acting which is japanese only, and there are just a few sentences for each character, so could be repetitive and annoying, given enough time. Both games look quite tame to me, considering the girls come from various eroge... Character voices might be deemed as too erotic, looks like in both games the voices of the characters are taken from their original games...

But, well, Steam doesn't sell erotic games. Both Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle games are probably the most "perverted" thing you can find there, which is not too much...

Those games are average at best, but I bought both. And I think they're OK games, decent enogh, given they're the only thing in Steam to play Riichi Mahjong.

You can use an english interface, which is the default, but is not the best, in addition some Yaku names in Shakespeare's language are really weird, to me at least. There's a lot of complaints with its "english". As I can, I play in japanese. Both games have english and japanese.

I would eccomend you to read the steam reviews made by the players..

rotkehlchen
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by rotkehlchen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Avoid those Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle games at any cost, they aren't worth your money. Just by looking at the screenshots you can tell it is bad, anyway I bought it on discount just to see how bad it is.

Pros:
- fully functional Riichi Mahjong on Steam
- "custom rules" like number of rounds, starting points, open tanyao, red fives, etc.

Cons:
- "pretty" and "cute" are subjective. Just a handful of the girls don't look like ♥♥♥♥
- no tutorial for beginners, not even basic stuff like a scoring table or yaku-list. If you can't play riichi you won't learn it with this game
- horrible gamespeed. You have the choice between painfully slow and way to fast. Choose slow and one game lasts several minutes. Choose fast and the AI discards 3 tiles in a split second. Best thing about that: If the AI calls on a discard for a win you don't know who it came from and what it was until a cut scene ends.
- talking about cutscenes: Every call on a tile causes an unskippable animation that can't be turned off and starts to get annoying after the fourth or fifth time, messing up the flow of the game even more
- UI is bad, you can't see the whole table
- game isn't completely translated
- ridiculous difficulty changes
Last edited by rotkehlchen on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:22 am

The games are not so good, but I paid for both of them less than 3 euros, which was ok. During christmas sale.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm

good-news.jpg
good-news.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 22824 times
Finally, Amazon Japan now ship video-games internationally!

You can view "television games" (i.e. video-games) here, browse by platform and search on mahjong (麻雀).

There's an "In English" link in the top bar which translates the navigation menus or you can use your browser translator.

Looks like you need to create a new login separate from your existing Amazon one although you can use the same email address.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Barticle wrote:
good-news.jpg
Finally, Amazon Japan now ship video-games internationally!

You can view "television games" (i.e. video-games) here, browse by platform and search on mahjong (麻雀).

There's an "In English" link in the top bar which translates the navigation menus or you can use your browser translator.

Looks like you need to create a new login separate from your existing Amazon one although you can use the same email address.
You can use your login in Amazon.jp. I use it to buy manga in japanese, so I know it. I use the same login in Amazon Spain, UK, and Japan, without problems.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Ignatius wrote:You can use your login in Amazon.jp. I use it to buy manga in japanese, so I know it. I use the same login in Amazon Spain, UK, and Japan, without problems.
Well, my email+password works on amazon.com, .fr and .co.uk, but not on .co.jp.
"There was a problem with your request
Your E-mail or password was incorrect. Please try again."
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world