Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Ignatius » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 am

I don't remember where I created my Amazon account. Maybe it was in Amazon.jp?
If so, it could have influence, but I think is weird.

I tried to login in Amazon.jp just a few seconds ago and I could.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:08 am

My UK account works with USA but not Japan.

I've registered for Japan with the same email and password now - perhaps that's what you did in the past?

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 am

Probably. I don't remember. But, well, I can buy from Amazon Japan, and now you too, which is the important point. :mrgreen:
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Yup! Now, if only they would release some more new mahjong games...

The PS4 launched in Japan over two years ago now and I've only seen one disc game and one downloadable. :cry:

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon May 16, 2016 12:06 am

A few days ago I bought Yakuza 5 for PS3. Still playing the story for the first time. The game looks good, but to me Haruka story, with all those sidequests and subquests, is too long... It's interesting, but I'm not too much interested in rythm games, I only have 1 of those, Hatsune Miku Project Diva, and I'm not too good at it. Cannot beat any song on hard...

Still, I want to know what happens with the characters I've played with, and Haruka, which is my current. Even if I'm not so into the change of pace of her chapter, it got me hooked.
I just saw today one very interesting event with Mrs Park, and Haruka met someone afterwards...

I was so close to win with 50,000 points when playing mahjong with another character...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon May 16, 2016 12:51 am

Glad to see someone's alive out there. Over three weeks since the last message! :o

Good to know you got the game too. I guess they decided Haruka was old enough to become a playable character and they gave her dance battles as a girly equivalent of street fights. The games often have diversions you wouldn't expect in a gangster game (e.g. managing a hostess club) but usually those are optional rather than a continuous part of the main narrative. At least Haruka shares her section of the story with Akiyama which maybe makes it a little shorter. Perhaps in a future title we'll see her fighting for real, but I doubt it.

I liked the development of Ms. Park as a character although her link to the usual character roster felt a little weird.

It's a shame they've stuck with the same old mahjong minigame for so long with few improvements. The external studio did a great job of making a whole new mahjong game for the portable Kurohyō 2 title but sadly Sega didn't carry that over to the main series.

Atlus USA, a company that localizes Japanese games, will be showing the prequel Yakuza Zero at the E3 trade fair next month alongside Persona 5 and SMT IV: Apocalypse. The game's set in Tokyo and Osaka during the 80's economic bubble with Kiryū and Majima as the playable characters. No Haruka, but still some dancing!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon May 16, 2016 1:10 am

Barticle wrote:Glad to see someone's alive out there. Over three weeks since the last message! :o

Good to know you got the game too. I guess they decided Haruka was old enough to become a playable character and they gave her dance battles as a girly equivalent of street fights. The games often have diversions you wouldn't expect in a gangster game (e.g. managing a hostess club) but usually those are optional rather than a continuous part of the main narrative. At least Haruka shares her section of the story with Akiyama which maybe makes it a little shorter. Perhaps in a future title we'll see her fighting for real, but I doubt it.

I liked the development of Ms. Park as a character although her link to the usual character roster felt a little weird.

It's a shame they've stuck with the same old mahjong minigame for so long with few improvements. The external studio did a great job of making a whole new mahjong game for the portable Kurohyō 2 title but sadly Sega didn't carry that over to the main series.

Atlus USA, a company that localizes Japanese games, will be showing the prequel Yakuza Zero at the E3 trade fair next month alongside Persona 5 and SMT IV: Apocalypse. The game's set in Tokyo and Osaka during the 80's economic bubble with Kiryū and Majima as the playable characters. No Haruka, but still some dancing!
The mahjong minigame is starting to look too simple or bland. But it works...

I bet we can play old SEGA games in Yakuza Zero... Also 80's Japan always looked so interesting... I would love to play it.

But...

Are you serious? Really? Majima as a playable character?

That's awesome! (about 20% cooler.)

Oh yeah, I bought Yakuza Ishin for PS4. I hope it's cool, looks so. I think it'll arrive in a week...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 pm

It's still great to be able to play Japanese mahjong with English text at least.

Ishin and Zero are both really cool. I felt that Yakuza 5 was a little bloated. It was nice to have new extra cities with real landmarks but otherwise they were pretty similar and made it harder to access all the minigames. Perhaps five playable characters was too many as well and certainly the prison story and the アナザードラマ careers were a bit of a drag.

Kamuro looks really different during the economic boom (and prior to the crackdown on the sex trade). Even the shops have retro branding and yes - there are four playable Sega arcade classics. :)

It's really cool to have Majima as a playable character in the main numbered series (he was previously one of the protagonists in the zombie shooter Yakuza: Dead Souls). Both characters have multiple fighting styles and one of Majima's is based on breakdancing! (because 80's)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon May 30, 2016 1:01 am

I've finished Yakuza 5. The game was just ok. I liked to play it, the controls are fine and I enjoyed my first playthrough. But something didn't "click". The game didn't left me the same impressions of awesomeness the fourth had.

The characters are fine, the cities too. But the story was not so good. In the end I was thinking "that's all?".

Shinada is funny, yes, and it's quite interesting, but there's no real reason for him to be part of the main story.

Haruka's part, could be just had been shown in cutscenes.

At least the door is open for her to fight someday (if Ryu ga Gotoku Studio like the idea), given what she decides in the end... Maybe she will enter the yakuza world as a yakuza herself... Her life is way too attached to Kiryū's.

I think this game might be the only Yakuza game I own that I'll not replay.

Ended being just "meh", for me at least...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon May 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Series producer Nagoshi said in a recent Famitsu interview that around a fifth of the player base is female. That might partly explain Haruka's playable role and career.

Trivia: The Yakuza series is sometimes seen as the spiritual successor to Sega's Shenmue games so I wonder if Shinada's outfit is inspired by Ryō's clothes...?

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue May 31, 2016 1:59 am

Barticle wrote:Series producer Nagoshi said in a recent Famitsu interview that around a fifth of the player base is female. That might partly explain Haruka's playable role and career.

Trivia: The Yakuza series is sometimes seen as the spiritual successor to Sega's Shenmue games so I wonder if Shinada's outfit is inspired by Ryō's clothes...?
The fact that a fifth of the players are women doesn't mean they wanted to play "idol Haruka", but yeah, that might be a reason.

That's right, Shinada clothes are like Ryō's.
Last edited by Ignatius on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:54 pm

Ryū ga Gotoku news update...

- RGG 6 (Japanese text) confirmed for release on PS4 on 8 December

- new RGG 6 story trailer shows new Hiroshima location and more of Takeshi Kitano's character

- it also states this will be Kiryū's final outing! :cry:

- prequel Yakuza Zero (English text) confirmed for release on PS4 on 24 January (Euro/US physical/download)

- Yakuza 5 (English text) announced as one of the "free" PS3 games for Playstation Plus subscribers next month

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:22 am

Barticle wrote:Ryū ga Gotoku news update...

- RGG 6 (Japanese text) confirmed for release on PS4 on 8 December

- new RGG 6 story trailer shows new Hiroshima location and more of Takeshi Kitano's character

- it also states this will be Kiryū's final outing! :cry:

- prequel Yakuza Zero (English text) confirmed for release on PS4 on 24 January (Euro/US physical/download)

- Yakuza 5 (English text) announced as one of the "free" PS3 games for Playstation Plus subscribers next month

Awesome news. I hope Yakuza Zero and 6 are good.

I would like to see new protagonists in a future yakuza game. Kazuma is getting old. I would like too to see Haruka being a yakuza leader, but that will not happen.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 am

I don't remember if I said something about this game earlier. It's a quite good mahjong Android game, 麻雀の神2 〜麻雀グランプリ〜/Mahjong God 2 〜Mahjong Grand Prix〜.

It has league mode, challenge mode with varied objectives (30 challenges), a quiz mode (Multi-answer questions about the game), options, point calculator, mahjong rules explanation mode (How to play, what is mahjong... For newbies), record mode, in which you can see your stats and graphs, and a free mode.

It has 6 difficulty levels for free mode, and each league gets harder...

The game is only in Japanese, but, as far as I've seen, looks very good.

It has trophies and a world ranking.

Edit:

The trophies get connected to your Google Play account if you play in Android. So no need to sign in somewhere...

You have to be online, be Wi-Fi or your cellphone data, to play as the game is free but have ads. Those ads are not a nuisance, to me at least.
You have a really small banner at the bottom while playing, really small, and when a match ends a big one jumps in.

I think the game is really good, and the creators could've asked for money to avoid us players those ads... But, well...
Last edited by Ignatius on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Did some searching. If this is the game you are referring to, I don't think it's available in the USA google play store or the IOS app store, at least not yet. Too bad, sounds interesting.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 14356 times
edit: game is now available in the USA google play store
Last edited by or2az on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.