Rinshan Kaihô and the Tsumo Fu

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Rinshan Kaihô and the Tsumo Fu

Post by Ignatius » Sun May 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I´ve read the rules written here in reachmahjong.com and I´ve found that those 2 Fu given for winning with tsumo are not obtained if you obtain a Rinshan Kaihou. But some rules does allow to obtain them, in fact, those rules are becoming incredibly popular... I´m wondering, wich is more popular, to obtain those fu, or not?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Rinshan Kaihô and the Tsumo Fu

Post by azn86.jedi » Tue May 11, 2010 1:26 pm

in my personal experience (albeit short) of playing riichi mahjong... the two fu given for tsumo is not given if you win by rinshan kaihou. I tend not to question why it\'s the case, but it would be interesting to know one way or another...

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Wed May 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Ignatius.

In Japan I have never played in any games that award the 2-fu for rinshan-tsumo. This includes pro tournaments, cash games at parlors and home/private games.

I can\'t think of anywhere that they do use the 2-fu, but maybe we can add it in if you\'d like to give us some references (^^

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 pm

I think I´ve read wrong what I´ve read. Maybe I get confused because I had´nt found anything in my japanese books about that. it´s Manga de wakaru Mahjong nyumon. Maybe I had´nt found yet.

I´ve rememebered where I´ve seen it in the wiki, saying to obtain those 2 Fu with Rinshan is from old rules.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Maybe I´m stupid but when you have multiple waits, how do you count the fu, depends on your winning tile?
Or as multiple waits you earn no fu?
I´ve read the post about the waits, so must be the first option.

Thank you very much!

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Rinshan Kaihô and the Tsumo Fu

Post by or2az » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:45 am

Reading the above posts from 6 years ago, the opinion seems to be that you do not get the 2 fu when you win on the supplemental tile drawn from the dead wall after a kong.
I was under the impression that you do and have been playing as such. Need clarification.
For example; here, notice the 2 pts for tsumo.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 12788 times

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ardiel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Apparently Saikyo no Mahjong also awards 2 fu for this hand. I never knew about it but it does, and it seems there's no setting to turn it off. I believe this should be 40 fu, not 50.

Don't mind the silly hand, I was just messing around trying to get a rinshan on purpose.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 pm

there's no setting to turn it off. I believe this should be 40 fu, not 50.
Perhaps because there is no reason to turn it off, just as there is no reason to turn off 10 fu for a menzen ron. I agree with the 50 fu.
Show an example where the 2 pt tsumo fu is not awarded (for rinshan kaihou), which is why I revisited this topic.
As far as I know (or think I know), only Pinfu waives the tsumo 2 points.

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ardiel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:53 pm

or2az wrote:
there's no setting to turn it off. I believe this should be 40 fu, not 50.
Perhaps because there is no reason to turn it off, just as there is no reason to turn off 10 fu for a menzen ron. I agree with the 50 fu.
Show an example where the 2 pt tsumo fu is not awarded (for rinshan kaihou), which is why I revisited this topic.
As far as I know (or think I know), only Pinfu waives the tsumo 2 points.
That would be hard to show an example of. You would either need an example that lists all the fu, or find one where there should be no rounding where 2 fu makes the difference and those 2 fu could only come from the rinshan tsumo. Otherwise the 2 fu gets buried in the rounding and you cannot tell if it is in effect or not.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:08 pm

You would either need an example that lists all the fu, or find one where there should be no rounding where 2 fu makes the difference and those 2 fu could only come from the rinshan tsumo.
We did that, with my sample hand, and now, for your screenshot above, The 2 fu awarded for self-draw is what makes it 50 fu (42+rounding). Otherwise, it would only be the 40
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 12763 times
Note: I did it for the dealer, which is why it's 4800 instead of 3200.
Also note that if the Pao rule is in effect, the payments are treated as a RON but it is still a tsumo for scoring the hand (if I learned this correctly)

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Bit tangent but I have yet to see any real-life setting that enforces pao for rinshan kaihou ;-)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Gnom wrote:Bit tangent but I have yet to see any real-life setting that enforces pao for rinshan kaihou ;-)
So, 咲-Saki doesn't count? :lol:

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ardiel » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:16 am

or2az wrote:
You would either need an example that lists all the fu, or find one where there should be no rounding where 2 fu makes the difference and those 2 fu could only come from the rinshan tsumo.
We did that, with my sample hand, and now, for your screenshot above, The 2 fu awarded for self-draw is what makes it 50 fu (42+rounding). Otherwise, it would only be the 40
FullSizeRender.jpg
Note: I did it for the dealer, which is why it's 4800 instead of 3200.
Also note that if the Pao rule is in effect, the payments are treated as a RON but it is still a tsumo for scoring the hand (if I learned this correctly)
Right, we already know two cases where 2 fu is awarded. I'm saying it's going to be hard to find more cases where it isn't awarded because if you don't know, you're going to have to test it. I tried finding some among the videos of Tenhou and JanRyuMon etc on Youtube and it's surprisingly difficult to find one that meets the requirements exactly.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:00 am

Understood. I did find this while searching the rules on TENHOU.
Pretty conclusive. I don't think I will look any further
Tenhou.net rules

Winning with the rinshan tsumo tile is also worth 2 fu (same as self-pick, not extra).

「嶺上ツモも2符加算」

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 am

or2az wrote:Understood. I did find this while searching the rules on TENHOU.
Pretty conclusive. I don't think I will look any further
Tenhou.net rules

Winning with the rinshan tsumo tile is also worth 2 fu (same as self-pick, not extra).

「嶺上ツモも2符加算」
Yeah, it is what he said. In japanese says: Rinshan Tsumo gets 2 Fu added.