Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Barticle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:03 am

There's a lot happening in the world of Yakuza games currently.

Yakuza: Kiwami - the localised version of the remake of the very first game in the series - is released on Tuesday (although some players have their copies already).

The remake adds over a dozen minigames that the original lacked, including riichi mahjong.

Meanwhile we got some big announcements from Japan:

RGG: Kiwami 2 is a remake of RGG 2 from 2006 and is due for release in December 2017.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-69GWips7Q

There will be a limited edition RGG: Kiwami 2 PS4 featuring Majima's hannya backpiece tattoo design.

>> https://www.famitsu.com/news/201708/28140551.html

Hokuto ga Gotoku is a crossover with classic post-apocalyptic manga/anime Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) and releases next year.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7MqWE1KOKY

Kasuga Ichiban was introduced as the new main character for RGG Online (a new F2P title for Android/iOS/PC) and Shin RGG (literally "New" RGG).

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A7QywB2eac

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 am

Sounds awesome.

If it were me, I would had chose a strong lady as the new lead for the series. But it's time for Kazuma to retire and start a new story (he's already a grandfather), so this new guy is fine too.

I'm a big fan of Hokuto no Ken/The Fist of the North Star, so that game really has my attention. The story is pretty meh, you know, a bulk of muscles try to save his girlfriend (as if she were an item he lost, she doesn't do much, just wait), and you see extreme violence while he, and some friends, try to save some villagers while on the adventure. The second part of the manga is worse. Even if I understand the plot is bad, and almost not existant, I love Hokuto no Ken. I'm trying to figure why... And I'm doing this for years.

I have both of the games made by Koei for PS3, and the first one is really great. Stilll play it...

Does the Kiwami version of old Ryuu ga Gotoku games have improved controls?

I'm asking this because I remember Yakuza 2 controls were on the awful side.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 pm

I don't know if they'd have a single female protagonist but I think if a future title had multiple playable characters again they should have one (adult) female.

Fist of the North Star was one of the first anime I ever heard about but I've never watched any of it. Looking at the game trailer I'd kinda guessed that the plot wouldn't be too deep but this is also an RGG game so I would expect a lot of long story cutscenes and probably dozens of side-missions. The new game is set in some sort of post-apocalyptic entertainment district so they will likely have a good range of minigames as usual too, maybe with post-apocalyptic mahjong?!

Kiwami is a full remake so you have all the features you'd expect from a modern RGG title.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 am

That makes me interested in the Kiwami titles.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am

php0swm5TPM.jpg
php0swm5TPM.jpg (4.45 KiB) Viewed 12328 times
Ignatius
The second button is 月例会 /Monthly Meeting, some kind of fixed competition between all the players owning the game, with fixed rules. You can play up to three times a day, and they will calculate who's the best based on average position.You always play against the AI. You'll be asked to write a name for you in the competition
or2az
.... if you don't play the minimum per month, it resets.
Explains why my 21 games in August got wiped out although the stats carried over.
Have to start over again for September (45 games min.) but I'll give it a shot
Having diligently played the 3 free games a day for 15 days to reach the 45 game minimum, I naturally got on the ladder early (at #18) but this is a temporary condition and won't last. As soon as more players reach 45 games in the next few days, I will be pushed further and further down, most likely off the 100 player list completely.
At that point, I will slither off into mahjong obscurity, never to be heard from again. (joke)

update:
Going, Going, Gone! Well that was an eye-opener. So many players with ratings of 1.6-2.0 and 1st place winning percentages from 45%-55% are tough to compete with.
A rating of 2.2 is just not good enough for the top 100.
This is the way September ended up. #1 was at 1.678
I will have to try much harder in October.
Screenshot_20171016-151317.jpg
Screenshot_20171016-151317.jpg (195.3 KiB) Viewed 12111 times
Last edited by or2az on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Tai
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tai » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello!

I was wondering if there are any games that people still play regularly online? Really doesn't matter what console it's for, there's just such a lack of games this generation.

If people still play it I'd go and grab the Simple PS4 game, otherwise I might grab something like Saki or something on the Vita.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:18 pm

The only one that I am familiar with is TENHOU online.
http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... +in+tenhou

I'm sure others will weigh in with more recommendations.
Welcome to the forum.

Tai
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tai » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks. I'm famillar with Tenhou, but haven't touched in many years now. Trying to get back into everything. Played some games on Sega MJ Net today though for the first time.
Really curious about console options. I've been playing Dream Club Mahjong these last few days, and really love the presentation on it, it's too bad I'll never get to play that online.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:27 am

Hi Tai, welcome to the team!

The Simple Series game on the PS4 is almost three years old now and I don't recall seeing many players even at launch.

However I just had a quick look and found a couple of players waiting in free play and another couple in ranking mode. Potentially you might be able to get a table going if you wait a few minutes, although you'd need to try times when more Japanese players would be active (it's currently Sunday evening there).

I can only assume that the general lack of players/games on home consoles in recent years is down to the rise of smartphone apps...?

The Vita at least has a few more MJ titles but I have no experience of those.

Bart

Tai
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tai » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you. Nice to meet you two.

It's nice to hear that the Simple game is alive. I will grab it once I have a chance, or the next time that Dream Club pisses me off by breaking my cheat item Daisangen with a cheap 1000 point hand.
It is looking like I need to give more mobile games a try. Really only have played Virtual Tenhou-G and now Sega MJ. I was looking on this forum and saw that Onsen Mahjong game, so I'll try that one soon.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 am

Onsen is a fun game with nice animation, not very difficult, definitely eye-catching.
Check out the ladder mode on Mahjong God 2 Grand Prix by the same developer, Fortune inc., for a more challenging game.
Lots of fun, too.

http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... 195#p59773
http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... 210#p59805

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 am

Both Fortune Inc. games are the best mahjong games for Android I've played. The onsen one might pose a problem if you plan to play it while working, as one character, Naru-Naru is almost nude, and some people might feel uncomfortable. Mahjong God 2 Grand Prix is quite a challenge, and an impressive one player game.

You can check Minna no Mahjong if you're looking for a simple looking game, with less options, and easier to navigate.

Also, if you want to play online with your cellphone, you can try with Mahjong Tengokuhai (which in the past had solo modes), and Konami Fight Club.

Oh, yeah... Welcome, Tai. Nice to meet you. :)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 am

Speaking of Onsen Mahjong,
Anyone got a spare dora??
phpZVMO5wPM.jpg
phpZVMO5wPM.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 12232 times
.....and if Maxwell Smart was in the game.....
Screenshot_20170919-200227.jpg
Screenshot_20170919-200227.jpg (222.56 KiB) Viewed 12232 times

Tai
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tai » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to check out MJ Grand Prix. Osen is pretty fun, I doing pretty good until I decided to deal the most risky tile in the match, didn't realize you can't continue if you lose. Really fun game.

I didn't realize Super Real Mahjong had a smart phone game, but apparently getting the game is region locked on the android store even though they have a "Super Real Mahjong Solitaire" that you can get no problem. I did download the apk off another site to try it.

Also when I was browsing other games, I did find a game called 近代麻雀オールスターズ which looks like it has characters from different manga series like Akagi, Naki no Ryu, and Legend of Koizumi. Definitely gonna try that one.
or2az wrote:Speaking of Onsen Mahjong,
Anyone got a spare dora??
It's a shame you couldn't get that ura dora

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Tai wrote:Also when I was browsing other games, I did find a game called 近代麻雀オールスターズ which looks like it has characters from different manga series like Akagi, Naki no Ryu, and Legend of Koizumi. Definitely gonna try that one.
I remember posting about this one... exactly two years ago today!

http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53436
or2az wrote:Anyone got a spare dora??
I've always seen a strong link between mahjong and fishing - so many tales of "the one that got away".
or2az wrote:.....and if Maxwell Smart was in the game.....
I've been thinking of Get Smart recently. At my new offices you have to go through four doors to get inside!