Why can’t i win with this hand?

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Tpu76
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Why can’t i win with this hand?

Post by Tpu76 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:10 am

So i’ve been playing this mahjong game on my nintendo, and i’ve been having positions where i can’t claim a win.

Am i missing something or is this software error?
Attachments
E463AB28-C155-462B-BDD2-97A9DC436193.jpeg
E463AB28-C155-462B-BDD2-97A9DC436193.jpeg (92.6 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Why can’t i win with this hand?

Post by Referee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:47 am

You have no yaku. That is the risk of opening your hand. :)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 am

You can see the list of yaku here:
https://ooyamaneko.net/mahjong/bookcmp/ ... 5&chap=6.5

Depending on the exact rule used, there might be a few differences, like some yakuman being scored double yakuman if they end on a special wait, or allowing Nagashi mangan (discarding only 1, 9, Winds, Dragons ; nobody claiming them ; and the hand ending in a draw).
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi Tpu, welcome and thank you!

I didn't realise there was an English-language Japanese mahjong game for the Nintendo Switch. I've added "Japanese Mah-Jongg" to my game list.

Japanese mahjong is played with a one-Han minimum for winning hands. You get Han from combinations (Yaku), bonus tiles (Dora) and red fives but only Han from combinations count towards meeting this condition. Therefore a complete hand must also qualify for at least one combination to be able to declare a win.

Your game also has a rule option called "2 Han Required". When this is applied it should only require two Han for a win when the second counter (next to the stick with eight dots) is at 5+.

When you're still learning there are a couple of combinations that are easier to make because they remain valid if you've stolen tiles from your opponents.

All Simples = your hand has no winds, dragons, ones or nines. When the "All Simples With Melded" option is applied this combination is valid with steals.

Value Tiles = your hand as a triplet (three identical tiles) of red, white or green dragons, or your wind (the symbol above your hand) or the round wind (shown top-left). When you have a pair of matching tiles you can often steal the third to complete the set.

There are several links in other threads on this board to helpful learning resources - and of course you can ask again if you have more questions.

Bart

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:43 pm

At this point I would discard 9-dot and the other one next round, and hope for a last tile win. Unlikely, but I am still positive points in a draw.

Tpu76
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tpu76 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you all for the answers :)