Newbie introduction

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

DdR_Dan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Newbie introduction

Post by DdR_Dan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:31 am

Occupation: (Transportation/traffic control) Algorithm Engineer
Interests: Various game challenges and challenging games, puzzling over various open-ended math/science/logical problems
Play MJ since (year): 2014
Rules used: Tenhou open tanyao, red dora, south wind rules
Languages: English, can read/type online in Japanese but I'm nowhere near fluent
Quest: Never-ending pursuit of the limits of human mental abilities, and the abilities to change and improve one's self

Hi! I'm a former tenhou 7th dan (highest was about 2400/2800 to 8th dan, but I fell to 6th dan recently), and I'm still trying to figure out both what I know that let me get there, and what I don't know that might be keeping me from going higher. If you want any advice from me, you can just ask and I'll tell you what I can. :D As for where I learned the game… well I guess you could say I taught myself almost everything I know about mahjong because I wanted to see how much I could learn, and because I didn't always feel like discussing the game with other people because I'm not much of a people person, so please be nice. :wink: I tried making strategy videos for mahjong here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwmRszThBI), but I'm still learning, and I'll find things that I didn't explain well or understand well in the videos sometimes.

I play some other games as well, and I might take long breaks from mahjong occasionally, but I think I'll always enjoy the game.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:24 am

Welcome !
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:45 pm

Welcome!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Haha, great to see you here, Daniel! :D

anne123
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by anne123 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:31 pm

hi,
My name is Anne. I'm one of the ladies that Steve (or2az) has been teaching. I've been told it is time for me to join the party. I have been playing chinese mahjong for a while and really enjoy the Japanese game.
Glad to be here.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm

Welcome!
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:45 am

Welcome to the forum! If you ever need help with translations from Japanese, I'll be here to help, the best I can.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Kalyori
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Kalyori » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi,

I learned about Riichi Mahjong from the anime Saki a while back and took an interest to it. I have the "Mahjong Demon" game on my phone and tablet -- it's really good and helped me learn initially.

Recently I bought a set and play with my folks which is a lot of fun. Next step is an automatic table!

Interests: Languages, tennis, pc games, anime
Play MJ since (year): ~2015
Languages: English, Hebrew, Japanese
Programming Languages: PHP, JS, Swift, Objective C, VB.NET
Favorite colour: Purple

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, Kalyori!

I do speak japanese too. Nothing awesome, but enough to help people here with translations of games. There's a thread called "Severely in need of an english translation!", just for that.

Kalyori
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Kalyori » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Ignatius wrote:Welcome to the forum, Kalyori!

I do speak japanese too. Nothing awesome, but enough to help people here with translations of games. There's a thread called "Severely in need of an english translation!", just for that.
I see, I see. That's cool. I'm just a beginner, but hoping to be fluent one day.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Kalyori wrote:

I see, I see. That's cool. I'm just a beginner, but hoping to be fluent one day.
Me too. I just passed the JLPT 3 last winter. my Japanese fell a bit, just because I moved to another country, and I have a job now that left me with no time to look for a teacher (so I'm trying to find a new job). I'm not too good studying by myself.

Kalyori
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Kalyori » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:08 am

Ignatius wrote:
Kalyori wrote:

Me too. I just passed the JLPT 3 last winter. my Japanese fell a bit, just because I moved to another country, and I have a job now that left me with no time to look for a teacher (so I'm trying to find a new job). I'm not too good studying by myself.
Ah wow impressive, that's really cool! Hopefully I'll get to that level soon enough...

Ahh I see I see, that's a bummer. Reading manga or watching anime/jap tv shows could be a good way to maintain it.

I bought a few manga myself but I haven't really started trying to seriously read them yet.

Ausculta
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Ausculta » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi,
My name is Greg. I have no experience in Mahjong, but the game has long fascinated me. I was planning to purchase a set from Amazon, it's imported from Yellow Mountain Imports and they look very nice I have a few questions regarding this set and possible mats.
I'm wondering if the set is too big for the junk mat shown on the mahjongstore on reach Mahjong site. The set is large; 1.34"H x 1"L x 0.71"W (34mm x 25mm x 18mm). I'm sure it'm thinking too big here. The junk mat which is described on amazon as 27.2 x 27.2 x 0.8 inches I'm guessing that this is outside and not inside.

I guess my question should be: What size do most people play with in tournaments?
I have a set that was given to me. It's old, bone and bamboo and I don't want to damage it.
But, I would like large pieces for my hands, and older eyes. They don't have to be these competition pieces I mentioned above, but I'd like a decent set, color, quality. I don't want to "upgrade" to better stuff.
What do you like to use and play with?
What brand do you prefer?

Thank you so much.

Gregory

Is this the best area to post this?

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:26 am

But, I would like large pieces for my hands, and older eyes. They don't have to be these competition pieces I mentioned above, but I'd like a decent set, color, quality. I don't want to "upgrade" to better stuff.
What do you like to use and play with?
Here is a picture of the set I play with.
Tiles are 1.5 inches high, 1-3/16 inches long, and 7/8 inches wide.
The ones on the left. Very stable and don't fall over.
Screenshot_20180827-170415.jpg
Screenshot_20180827-170415.jpg (135.87 KiB) Viewed 18696 times
Screenshot_20180827-172246.jpg
Screenshot_20180827-172246.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 18694 times
See more here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53280&hilit=I+just+ ... ist#p57416

Welcome to the forum

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:24 am

Hello Greg. And welcome onboard.

I'd love to help but my mahjong set was a gift, made of plastic.

And sadly don't know about inches, I'm on the metric system side.

Still, even if I can provide no help, welcome to the forum!