Riichi Scoring Website / Android Camera App

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Riichi Scoring Website / Android Camera App

Post by Ozball » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:35 am

Shirluban wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:12 pm
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mahjong/commen ... alculator/
The payments for any valid hand are calculated, even if the hand is yaku nashi. This is a "feature" that ended up being a "design choice". How the calculator works is that it first tries to assemble a valid hand. A valid hand is 4 sets and a pair, or 7 pairs, or a kokushi musou hand. Then, if a valid hand is found it loops through a list of yaku to see if the hand matches any. At the end the results are displayed, even if there are no valid yaku. My thinking process was that I had no real reason not to cancel the display. The calculator must do all the looping to find a valid hand in the first place, which is where most of the processing time is. So I thought, why not? It might be a bit confusing to newer players, but I think it is an interesting enough "feature" to warrant it.
1) AFAIK, a valid hand is 4 groups and a pair, or 7 different pairs, or kokushi musō.
Not just seven pairs.

2) "Then, if a valid hand is found it loops through a list of yaku to see if the hand matches any. At the end the results are displayed, even if there are no valid yaku."
At this point, the result must shows "invalid hand: no yaku".
There are no reasons to "cancel the display", indeed, but it still has to display the correct score. Where lies the computation time's bottleneck is irrelevant, only user experience matters; and something both confusing to newbies and useless to seasoned players is terrible UX.
Agreed. The only benefit of showing a "yakuless" hand is the fu counting I guess? But even then it should be an option you can turn on if you're just doing Fu practice or something like that. It shouldn't be a core feature that's always on.
Shirluban wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:12 pm
Ozball wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 am
In the developer's defense, if they have done the scoring side from scratch, then it can be a bit of a pain to get one's head around.
True.
But then it's shouldn't be distributed without intensive testing. Or it should clearly be labelled as a beta version, requesting help to find out the bugs.
The dev is being irresponsible by recommending it "if you are just starting out" while admitting "it might be a bit confusing to newer players".
Again agreed. Yes the scoring side of things can be a pain, but that in itself should be a reason for rigorous testing from external users.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Since we are discussing calculators, I have a somewhat related question regarding another one I use occasionally that I have posted about previously.

http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... tor#p60043

Unlike the one we have been discussing, this one does just about everything you could want (except for the camera part,, which didn't work anyway), including settings for optional yaku/yakuman and other rules.
phpgmImDXAM.jpg
phpgmImDXAM.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
What I can't figure out is the settings for the settings.
PHOENIX-DRAGON-TIGER......no clue....I use default.
Anyone familiar with this?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:55 pm

There is the "phoenix" rule option that can apply with Yakitori markers - if all four players win, they all get their markers back (reborn) - but I don't think that's relevant.

If you look into the longest lists of obscure optional Yaku, there are many names with dragons, a few tigers and a phoenix, but I don't think that's it either.

I suppose it could be a reference to the Four Gods of Chinese mythology (and the Mahjong Fight Club games) if the default option represents the Black Tortoise, although strictly the Vermilion Bird is distinct from the Fenghuang (phoenix). Symbolically they can be linked to the four winds in mahjong.

My guess would be either cosmetic/colour options for the app or preset groups of options/settings. Does anything happen when you pick them?

PS It's odd that Million Stones isn't fully translated (perhaps the ambiguity of stones vs gems). The Koku kanji is read as Goku in this context anyway (Hyakuman Goku).

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:03 pm

I have not noticed any difference when choosing those options. I did notice the RENAME button which allows you to rename those options.
Why you would want to do that I do not know.

As for the million koku, I assume that is when the total of the crack tiles in a flush must be 100 or more. Quite hard to get, an average of 7.14 per tile, unless there are kongs in the hand.

The only one of these options I feel strongly about is San Renko, which is attainable, and I don't like it being a non-yaku.
I know others disagree.
phpaM3v4zAM.jpg
phpaM3v4zAM.jpg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 7112 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:18 pm

I think it might just be a way of saving four sets of option settings, effectively four rule-sets which you can switch between without having to re-enter them.

Yes, Hyakuman Goku is the Craks flush where the tile numbers sum to 100 or more. It's one of my favourites, although I doubt I've ever got it and I've only played a couple of video-games that allow it. There's also a Junsei (pure) version which optionally scores double Yakuman for exactly 100. :D

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 pm

And this thread shows the contrast about a good calculator and a bad (or unfinished) one. BTW, that other calculator, the good one, can it show yaku names in Japanese? (roumaji ok).

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Both of the good ones can do that, but in different ways.
One does it with the Japanese characters, the other with the English pronunciation of the Japanese characters
phpAzmRCbPM.jpg
phpAzmRCbPM.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
php1zyRzHPM.jpg
php1zyRzHPM.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 7107 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:29 am

Barticle wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:50 pm
[...] the earlier positive replies from a couple of other posters
I have my cynical moments so I did a little checking.

Fun fact: The first reply comment on the Reddit thread for the camera app was made by an account with a "saki-" name, which has only ever made that one comment... and the account was created on the same day as the original post! :shock: